Softened water from a water softener

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apistohead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Long time in the aquarium hobby, but I have a dilemma.

I am just about to set up my tank again after moving from Alberta to the central okanagan B.C. the place I am living now have a water softening system installed. I have never had one before and I am getting mixed responses as to how it will affect the fish.

I am going to have apistogrammas in the tank and they like softer water.

Is this type of water safe for the fish?

Mixed reviews are correct!
Many have /use water softeners without issue.
Others have big issues.
Most water softeners leave the water very high in salts(long and short of it).
Although the pH may be low other parameters like gh and TDS may be more important.
One link (another forum)cited a possible 10mg of salt per 8 ounces of water!
???
Most who have water softeners have a hose bib(valve) before the softener and that is your source of un softened water if you need it.
I would experiment /test extensively and carefully...:popcorn:
Good luck!

Can you perform test on the water?
pH,kH,gH,TDS

Check out tedsfishroom.com, he delves into the subject a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I have read most of the of about it online 10mg per 8 Oz and so forth. I can test most of the parameters but not all. I will have to get it tested. I'm not sure if it sodium cloride or potassium that the land lord puts in. I will check with him.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Watch out for chemicals placed in the salt to add aroma or deter build up. They are killers.

Here is what Ted had to say about it...

"Water Softener

Before we get to changing water, take a look at these two sponge filters. The filter on the left has been calcified but high general hardness in my tap water. The filter on the right is what a clean filter with no calcification looks like. The calcium and magnesium content of my tap water is so high, that when I opened the fish room all of my filters looked worse than this in less than two months. Huge problem!

I had to solve this problem by installing this 98,000 grain water softener onto the main water line into the bulding, which removes most (but not all) of the general hardness from the water.

This water softener exchanges most of the Mg and Ca general hardness for sodium chloride. Using water parameter terms, before the water softener the GH of the tap water is 18 – 20 degrees of hardness and about 480 parts per million total dissolved solids. The KH before softening is 14-16, and the pH is about 8.2. After passing through the water softener, my tap water parameters are GH 6-7, KH 5-6, pH 7.4-7.6 and about 300 parts per million TDS.

But most of those dissolved solid particles are sodium chloride, which does not bother fish in such low amounts. When you treat your tank with aquarium salt at a rate of one tablespoon per ten gallons, you are putting a higher concentration of salt in the water than I get out of my water softener. That salt has the added benefit of discouraging parasites like velvet and ich… salt is not a cure for those diseases… but the salt can help prevent the parasites from getting a start. That is a topic for a future video.

Another advantage to the water softener is that it removes the chlorine from the water, so I do not need to add water conditioner when filling tanks. My water utility does not add chloramines, and I am not sure if the water softener would remove that molecule.

Most homes are not using a water softener on the main line coming into the building like mine is. Typical water softeners are only plumbed to the hot water line, and the cold water is not being softened. Keep that in mind if you have a water softener in your home… only a portion of the water you are running to your tanks will be conditioned."

I have a water softener and I've been using that water for my two tanks for 4 1/2 years with no problem. The salt makes the softener work but there is no salt in the water. I test my water and it still has a high PH.

Thanks very much for the reply. That settles it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom