Some advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philjn161

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I wish I'd joined under happier circumstances, but my daughter and I really need some advice so we can prevent any more distressed fish.
Many years ago I kep very successful freshwater tanks and the same in tropicals. Health issues and finances meant I gave up aquaria, but my daughter returned from University last year with a very small plastic tank and, what I thought, two very large fish. One was a long flowing tailed shubunkin about 4 inches long ( excluding tail ) and the other was the finest specimen of black moor I'd ever seen... 4 inches at least, with beautiful erect dorsal and perfect flowing tail fins.
I reprimanded my daughter for keeping such huge fish in such a tiny plastic tank with a pathetic filter system.
Apparently, they had grown that size on their own, having been tiny when bought 3 years before.
They lived and thrived over the last year... I fed them and changed their water 50% regularly, and despite all reason, I've never seen such happy, healthy fish.
Then I badgered my daughter into getting them a bigger tank.
She bought a triangular corner tank , approximately 24 inches across and 30 inches deep. It came with gravel, heater ( unnecessary as the water temps in the house never drop below 21 degrees due to the central heating) light and lid, and a very large stingray filter.
We set it up, after scrubbing everything with salt then washing, then treated the water with tap safe, let the filter and water flow for a day to acclimatise, then put the two fish in the tank.
Two weeks, perfectly happy.
Then my daughter bought a healthy goldfish and a tiny fantail.
The goldfish developed a taste for the black moors tail, so before any serious damage occurred we separated the goldfish and treated the main tank with a cure all treatment.
The black moor deteriorated fast. He became sluggish , sad, and hid in the corner. We separated him, and watched in horror as over the following week he got worse and worse and died.
We tried antibiotics, health remedies, water changes, tap safe, everything.
Now, the main tank, with a new black moor, a new 4 inch goldfish, the fantail, and the original long tailed shub, are all showing early signs of similar deterioration.
By all reasoning, this new expensive tank with its excellent pump and filter and treated water should be an ideal new home for, supposedly, hardy golds, moors , fans and shubs.
Cany anyone shed any light here? I don't want to preside over more sick and dying fish :((

Sorry to hear about your fish troubles. While the golds may have done "well" in their previous tank most experts will say one gold needs a minimum of a 20g (if I remember correctly) & an additional 10g for each after that. Goldfish are BIG waste producers so changing their water frequently is very important. Plus it sounds like your tank is new which means it is cycling. There are some great cycling articles under the Getting Started forum. You need to have a liquid water test kit to check the ammonia, nitrites & nitrates daily in your tank & then do water changes of probably 50% or more while it's cycling. If I'm not mistaken Goldie's prefer length over height in a tank, plus their diet is very important. There are some Goldie experts on this forum so hopefully they will advise you better.

go to petsmart and get yourself an API freshwater master test kit if you don't already have one..the strips are junk. Follow the directions, and test the water parameters, then we will be able to help you.

agree with the others, sounds like your tank wasn't cycled, the ammonia and nitrites are prob high. Also check the fish are they breathing heavy?

water changes are your friend:p

+1 for the api master test kit, -1 for buying it anywhere except from amazon. $20, and free shipping.

+1 for the api master test kit, -1 for buying it anywhere except from amazon. $20, and free shipping.

amazon does sell it cheaper I agree..but in this situation they kind of need to check their water parameters fast. If you dont want to buy the test kit in the store, just bring a water sample to a local store, they should check it for free

Thank you for your replies.
I joined in a bit of a panic and posted ( for the sake of the fish) in this section before introducing myself.
I've taken some time in reading many very helpful threads and realised that, frankly, I knew almost nothing about the subject. :(
I had no idea what "cycling" was..... Didn't know a nitrite from a nitrate... And thought I'd stepped into a secret society of biochemists and microbiologists ;)
There is a heck of a lot more to this "simple" pet keeping than I ever realised?
I grew up in the 60s where goldfish were novelty prizes won at a funfair, and evolved into a hack aquarist who, it seems, got very lucky in keeping tanks that pretty much kept themselves going apart from a once a month water change using the most basic of water treatments and a scrub of the stones and ornaments in warm salty water.
I have an awful lot to learn, and I better learn it quickly for the safety and good health of the fish we keep.
The good news is, after following some of the advice offered so far in other threads and here, this morning I woke to find all the new residents a lot more perky and interested in their new home. Their dorsal fins are up, theyre swimming with purpose and intent instead of hovering in a corner looking morose and defeated. :)
Thank you again for taking time to offer advice, on behalf of me and my daughter, but far more importantly, the fish!

Phil

Quest84 said:
amazon does sell it cheaper I agree..but in this situation they kind of need to check their water parameters fast. If you dont want to buy the test kit in the store, just bring a water sample to a local store, they should check it for free

Ur right, ur right. Didn't think of how quick testing needs done. I guess that's why we are all here. To give advice, and point out others mistakin advice and so forth

Philjn161 said:
Thank you for your replies.
I joined in a bit of a panic and posted ( for the sake of the fish) in this section before introducing myself.
I've taken some time in reading many very helpful threads and realised that, frankly, I knew almost nothing about the subject. :(
I had no idea what "cycling" was..... Didn't know a nitrite from a nitrate... And thought I'd stepped into a secret society of biochemists and microbiologists ;)
There is a heck of a lot more to this "simple" pet keeping than I ever realised?
I grew up in the 60s where goldfish were novelty prizes won at a funfair, and evolved into a hack aquarist who, it seems, got very lucky in keeping tanks that pretty much kept themselves going apart from a once a month water change using the most basic of water treatments and a scrub of the stones and ornaments in warm salty water.
I have an awful lot to learn, and I better learn it quickly for the safety and good health of the fish we keep.
The good news is, after following some of the advice offered so far in other threads and here, this morning I woke to find all the new residents a lot more perky and interested in their new home. Their dorsal fins are up, theyre swimming with purpose and intent instead of hovering in a corner looking morose and defeated. :)
Thank you again for taking time to offer advice, on behalf of me and my daughter, but far more importantly, the fish!

Phil

Glad to hear they are better; now the fun is keeping them that way! Don't be afraid to ask ANY question. I've had to ask a few that seemed trivial but they were answered & helped me out.

Ur right, ur right. Didn't think of how quick testing needs done. I guess that's why we are all here. To give advice, and point out others mistakin advice and so forth

all here to help each other:) no worries

and Phil glad ur fish are doing much better:dance:

Back
Top Bottom