Something growing on Java Fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LesPaulPlayer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have something that is growing on my java fern. I've had the fern for 5 days about and did notice it when I put it in. At first I thought it was java moss but know I don't know. Any help is appreciated.

My guess is that you are looking at java fern plantlets. This is how the java ferns reproduce. Those brown looking things are roots that will eventually grow new small leaves, and the old leaf will die.

It looks like it is going to be a nice size mat when it starts growing out. I had a couple that did that and it was a huge mass of plants all together. Usually the separate into little plants but it is really nice they make a nice big mat.

Your fern looks like it is just a bunch of leaves, without a rhizome.

Leaves that are detached from the rhizome will do just what you are seeing ... grow lots of roots & eventually a bunch of baby plants. once you get a good root system & a few good sized leaves (1" or so), you can separate the baby ferns from the mother leaf & plant them elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom