Something wrong with Hammer Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
After getting my new WavePoint 4-24W T5 light, I decided to go for a hammer coral. My LFS was willing to clip off a head for me for $15, so I got one. I found a spot in the tank (on the sandy bottom, out of the high flow) that the coral seems to like. it fully expands here, but there is something strange about some of the tenticles.

Here is a picture. They look knoby and mangled. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Picture 699.jpg
    Picture 699.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 78
The LFS had a frogspawn nearby that looked much different than this. The guy at the store also called it a hammer coral. To me it looks to be some kind of damage.

Matt

The tentacles on the right side look a little funky, like maybe they rubbed a little on the bag on the way home? But it doesn't looked damaged to me.

Doesnt look damaged to me either. To me it doesnt look like a hammer either. I have two in my tank and that looks more like a torch to me.

It was my understanding that Torch coral didnt form stalks like this thing. This came off a 5 stalk coral. This coral is actually attached to about 1.5in of bone that I stuck into the sand to hold in place.

To me, it looks like the tenticles are mangled? Most the pictures I see are all nice and straight. Some of mine are crooked and distorted.

Thanks for the replies!
MAtt

It was my understanding that Torch coral didnt form stalks like this thing. This came off a 5 stalk coral. This coral is actually attached to about 1.5in of bone that I stuck into the sand to hold in place.

I hate to inform you that your understading is not correct. I have a torch that was 5 heads and 2 of them died from the brown jelly disease. I broke them off and had three heads. That was years ago. I now have 8 heads on it and expect more.

it looks healthy to me. I have heard that they shouldn't be in the sand though since the grains can get into the fleshy part and irritate the coral

Back
Top Bottom