Somwthing wrong with cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought this Cory yesterday and he started doing this last night, and every time I check on the aquarium he's doing it. Should I be worried?

Edit: Sorry about the title....

Attachments

• image-1714136791.jpg
    image-1714136791.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 57
Do you have a quarantine tank? You may want to move him, in case he is sick. It's generally a good idea to house new fish on their own for a bit, just to make sure that they are healthy. If you accidentally buy sick fish, it could contaminate your whole tank.

I would quarantine him until you are certain he is healthy, if that's possible.

ErinMcG said:
Do you have a quarantine tank? You may want to move him, in case he is sick. It's generally a good idea to house new fish on their own for a bit, just to make sure that they are healthy. If you accidentally buy sick fish, it could contaminate your whole tank.

I would quarantine him until you are certain he is healthy, if that's possible.

Sadly at the moment I don't have a quarantine tank, but I did notice that he only has 2 large whiskers(?) on the front of his mouth, while the rest of my cories also have 2 more smaller ones. Could this be the issue?

Hopefully a Cory expert will chime in. I know only a wee bit because I have been researching them. I want some, but don't have any currently. What is your substrate? Sometimes rough gravel can damage their barbels (I think that's what they are called - the whisker things, anyway). Not sure that would cause him to swim the way he is though.

How long has your tank been running? My first (and so far only) attempt at cories was before my tank had fully cycled. They were fine for a couple of days, then they started swimming up to the surface and falling to the bottom. It was awful.

ErinMcG said:
Hopefully a Cory expert will chime in. I know only a wee bit because I have been researching them. I want some, but don't have any currently. What is your substrate? Sometimes rough gravel can damage their barbels (I think that's what they are called - the whisker things, anyway). Not sure that would cause him to swim the way he is though.

How long has your tank been running? My first (and so far only) attempt at cories was before my tank had fully cycled. They were fine for a couple of days, then they started swimming up to the surface and falling to the bottom. It was awful.

I've had this tank running since February and I bought him yesterday. It's just so strange I've never had a Cory do this before.

Back
Top Bottom