South Asian Blackwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of converting my newly cycled tank full of odds and ends into a S. Asian blackwater tank as I randomly ended up wanting a Betta/Kuhli tank. Low and behold was I surprised yesterday to realize I coincidentally got fish from the same ......... (lacking the appropriate word).

I am new to this whole aquarium thing so I don't want to get in over my head. Right now my levels are stable: pH a steady 7.8, and everything else hard but steady.

When I start adding woods etc to create the black water, my levels are going to drop. Do I have to worry about them dropping to far? Will I be creating problems by purposefully playing with my water quality? I just don't want to unknowingly get myself and my tank in to a vicious yoyo cycle.

the kind of tank you are describing usually has a ph of close to 6.
I don't know that I'd choose that if my tap were 7.8.
my tap happens to be 6.0 naturally so that is what I've created... maybe it would be better to consider rainbows, ect. They like harder water and you can go with what you've got.

Oooooo....an answer...yea, someone who might know something helpful to me!

Will the drift wood keep the pH at a steady level, or when it gets older will it loose it's ability to naturally lower the pH?

I put one driftwood piece in my tank a week or two ago after boilling it for 3 minutes just to kill stuff. It wasn't affecting my tank apreciably, so I put a second piece in a few days ago without any boiling. My tank is now a lovely yellowish color, and my pH has gone from 7.6ish (it lowered a bit after a PWC) to 7.2ish.

Last edited:
The amount that the pH is dropped is related to the amount of tanins released by the driftwood. A piece that releases more tanins will drop the pH more than one that releases little to none.

They don't ever completely run out, but with many types of wood it lessens to the point where it is barely noticeable. With these the affect on the pH would probably be very slight. Other types of wood will darken an aquarium to a dark tea no matter how long they are kept and would have a greater affect on the pH. As someone else mentioned, the size of the piece will also make a difference.

just for a note, I tested my Ph again today and its back to normal 8.0, where since i put the driftwood in for the last couple weeks it was reading ~7.5. I did do a large PWC the other day and added carbon to the filter. Its still slightly yellow I think, so in a few days I'll test again and look.

I didn't get home early enough to test my tank tonight. I'll test tomorrow and see where I'm at.

How much does it disturb the fish to mess with them/the tank once the lights are out?

Back
Top Bottom