Spirulina Flakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does it matter what brand of these I get or are they all about the same as far as quality and ingredients?

I always try to find new life spectrum, omega one, or hikari spiraling. It's not always accessible at my lfs. I recently was forced to purchase api brand and my fish seem to enjoy it and are doing well. Just look at the ingredients and make sure the crude protein is low.

Zoo Med Spirulina 20 is the best, imho. It contains 20% spirulina. Look at the order that spirulina comes in the other brands. The first ingredient is the primary ingredient. With Zoo Med, spirulina is the second ingredient.

I would rate Ocean Nutrition Spirulina Flake Food coming in at second due to a higher protein content.

I wouldn't base food quality on protein content alone , since Spirulina is a protein source. The important part, as mentioned, is the amount of spirulina in the product. Some 'spirulina' flakes are nothing more than regular flakes with a dash of spirulina and green food coloring.

From the spirulina wiki

"Dried Spirulina contains about 60% (51–71%) protein. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids, though with reduced amounts of methionine, cysteine and lysine when compared to the proteins of meat, eggs and milk. It is, however, superior to typical plant protein, such as that from legumes.[2][7] "

Back
Top Bottom