Split in comets tail fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan79

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.
I noticed today that my small comet has a split in the tail fin. It wasn't there yesterday and she still seems to be swimming ok. Aside from adding extra stress zyme to maybe help coat any potential sores what should i do?

I have 2 comets in the tank and do big regular water changes but the bigger comet is almost always chasing her if she is out of her hidey hole. I just started cycling a second 20G tank today (with a filter that has been in another tank for a couple of weeks so some bacteria should be present). I have the option of moving her there for the time being or setting up a smaller 5G tank for the time being if placing her in a tank with no obstructions is a better option.

Should i just leave her in the current tank, move her to the recently scaped tank that isn't cycled but has obstructions she might bump her tail on, or move her to an empty 20g I bought a week back and just run that tank with just fish, water and filter? I don't reallywant to leave her with the big fellow if she has trouble with the tail. She does get chased a lot.

If your ok with a fish-in cycle, I would move the more aggressive fish to the empty 20g and leave her where she is now. She will heal with super healthy water, a nutritious diet and time. The stress zyme stuff is a bacterial additive and will not help with healing- great water, a great diet and removing the source of stress (aggressive fish) will help. :)

Thanks JLK. The tail has healed quite a bit in a day or so on the younger Comet. Hopefully it enjoys it's new found solitude. At least it gets to beg for food now without being chased. Poor thing wasn't having much fun with Brutus (the comet formerly known as Bubbles).

Back
Top Bottom