sponge filter, idea's, questions, and what brand air pump is quiet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I ordered two live sponge filters from angelsplus. One I cut up and stuck in my HOB filter. The other one is magnetized and I stuck it in the aquarium but do not currently have an air pump to run it, not to mention I have never used a sponge filter and not sure how I should run it. This one is square foam with a plastic cylinder sticking out of the top, it is attached halfway down the back of the tank with a magnet. The reason I am considering running the sponge filter is so that I will always have a seeded sponge that I can use for a Quarantine tank and then sterilize and move back to the main tank. So my questions are as follows:

1. Am I correct in assuming I just buy an air pump and an air-stone and put it in the plastic cylinder much like you would run an old school under gravel filter?
2. before I buy an air pump, I remember how noisy and annoying they were, so what is a good brand of a quiet one?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Yup, you just need an air pump! I actually have the petco brand air pump running on my juvenile discus tank and it's fairly quiet, slight humming, but that's it. No air stone needed, just the pump and tubing.
The ones from angels plus should have a hole on the side of the air tube, you just feed the airline in through that, and into the sponge itself, flip the switch and go.

Yup, you just need an air pump! I actually have the petco brand air pump running on my juvenile discus tank and it's fairly quiet, slight humming, but that's it. No air stone needed, just the pump and tubing.
The ones from angels plus should have a hole on the side of the air tube, you just feed the airline in through that, and into the sponge itself, flip the switch and go.

Yes there is a hole on the plastic tubing. Should I keep the filter near the bottom of the tank or will it get clogged with sand? I was thinking of moving the HOB filter to one side and the sponge filter on the opposite side, but I also don't like asymmetry so I was thinking I might order a second sponge filter and have one in each corner and the HOB in the center.

ashleynicole said:
Yes there is a hole on the plastic tubing. Should I keep the filter near the bottom of the tank or will it get clogged with sand? I was thinking of moving the HOB filter to one side and the sponge filter on the opposite side, but I also don't like asymmetry so I was thinking I might order a second sponge filter and have one in each corner and the HOB in the center.

Two is really up to you, never too much filtration though!
I keep mine about 3" above substrate if I have any. I have mine in a bare bottom tank right now, I am not much help there. But when it was in my sand planted tank it never sucked up too much sand. It doesn't seem to intake too much water from the bottom, but more from the sides.
Play with it and see what works best for you and your tank!

Back
Top Bottom