Sponge for filter intake - question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just purchased a Fluval sponge for the filter intake after my 4th fry in three days got stuck in there and died. It's not for my filter but it fits fine. I have it on now for most of the day and it has stuck without coming off and apparently the debris does collect around it.

My question is, can the sponge block oxygen levels in any way? The fish are still swimming very lively, but I just thought to ask since I wanted to remove it and really use it during the evening hours. It is in the morning when I would usually find the fry stuck in there - which surprised me since they were 5 weeks old. I now have 3 that are about 2 weeks. My female mollys seem to pass them every 2 weeks.

Also, should I clean the sponge daily or does it matter? It was about $2.39 and I should have bought 2 more...

I don't think it'll block o2, but it will need to be cleaned fairly regularly to keep your filter flow high.

Yes, I figured to clean it daily. I thought to cut it in half and fit it on the top half of the tank where the suction is. Maybe that will help with the flow?

If it's what I think it is, a sponge with a hole in it on the intake pipe of a HOB filter, it should work fine as its then basically just extra mechanical filtration. I've had one on my HOB filter for years to prevent decaying plant parts from getting stuck in the impeller and I only clean it occasionally as O2 really isnt a problem for me, or at least that's what I tell myself every time I look at it and think of cleaning it!

Yes, that's it. I cut it in half and placed it on the upper half of the intake and it hangs on. I believe new fry should be arriving any day now, and I want to see if indeed they'll survive as a result.

Back
Top Bottom