Spontaneous Mystery Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sducky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a planted 6-gallon nano tank that houses two clown killifish, three amano shrimp, a nerite snail, and nothing else.

About a month ago, I noticed a few tiny white fry in the tank. After about three days, I had a dozen or so of them. Obviously I assumed they were baby killies, as those were the only fish I had ever kept in the tank. I wasn't sure if the shrimp would go after them, and I had a bunch of guppy and platy fry from my other tanks. So I combined all the fry together into their own tank.

But as they got older, these fry didn't look or act much like clown killifish. They are a pure pearly white, with a body shape similar to the guppies but not as fat. They're very active, swim all over the tank, and eagerly eat just about anything. They're a month old now, and they are now noticeably smaller than the guppy fry that was born around the same time. For weeks I've been wondering when they would start to look and act more like killies.

Then yesterday I was changing the water in the killie tank, and I spotted one single TINY fry swimming at the top with black and white stripes and blue eyes. Now THAT'S a clown killie fry! Which begs the question: what the heck are these little white fish? And how did they get there? I can only assume there were eggs on a plant I brought home from the fish store, and those eggs survived both a good washing and my amano shrimp.

Does anyone have any idea what these could be? I tried to get a picture, but they move too fast. Just picture pearly white guppies, but without the round belly.

Any luck IDing the fry? I have some that look like that periodically in my community tank but my angel eats them pretty guickly. They look like they might be juvenile gold danios which I have.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

No, I still don't have any ideas. My guppy fry that were born around the same time are all starting to get the cobra markings on their tails, but these other fry are still just plain white - not gray or silver, which is a little odd - with no markings at all.

I guess I'll have to wait until they get a little bigger to find out what they are. I just hope they turn out to be something that I might be able to give away, because I've got fry popping up everywhere and don't quite know what to do with them all. I've separated the male guppy from the females and am trying to do the same with the platys, but I've still got about 50 fry and a lot of pregnant fish. My husband jokes that every time he goes out for a night with the guys, he comes home to find yet another aquarium in our house. :)

Back
Top Bottom