Spot on crawfish?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krazycricket21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this something I should worry about?

Attachments

• 50F7C208-7F70-474E-9DA4-9A3F4B39FA4A.jpg
    50F7C208-7F70-474E-9DA4-9A3F4B39FA4A.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 28
I’m talking about the orange spot on the crayfish. Is it something I can treat? I looked it up but only found ‘white spot’ for crawfish.

Attachments

• B1E4D0BB-FD8C-4BED-B008-F346F6A4C44F.jpg
    B1E4D0BB-FD8C-4BED-B008-F346F6A4C44F.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 29
Yes I saw the spot the first time , no I don't know what the spot is, but yes I would be worried about it.
It could be an injury to the shell

So the first one still has the two orange spots but they haven’t grown.
A second crawfish now has a white fuzzy spot.
Anyone have any ideas?

I looked up white spot but couldn’t find how to help them.
I haven’t found anything about the orange spot.

Attachments

• 1A976DCD-E1D5-4276-A250-A1C990AA6AEA.jpg
    1A976DCD-E1D5-4276-A250-A1C990AA6AEA.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 4E1B72DE-F972-4D1A-9816-AEB41A910E4E.jpg
    4E1B72DE-F972-4D1A-9816-AEB41A910E4E.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 21
Not sure if it is the shadows on your tank glass reflection.

In the first pic it looks like a spot on the tail, then in the next pic center between carapace and tail where they join together.

Then in the second to the last pic it looks like on the top of the head circle spot???

What are the water parameters?

How much water is getting changed out and how often?

How long have you had him?

What are you feeding him?

Is there a filter?

What is the temperature?

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle?

Article link in my signature has the info and help for tank keeping.

Sorry to leave so much important information out. Let me see if i can clear some things up. There are 2 crayfish. One of them has 2 orange hard looking spots and the other has 1 fuzzy white spot. The crayfish with orange marks has had them for over a month for sure but im not exactly sure when. The crayfish with the white fuzzy one just appeared.

I have my water tested at the local fish store and it all checked out.

Im doing roughly 10% a week and haven't had any problems with the tank (been set up for 9-10 months).

I got them 4 months ago as babies.

He eats fresh greens, shrimp pellets, algae wafers.

The tank has an over the back filter with bio pads and the tank is at 75 degrees.

What is the temperature?

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle? Yes, and the tank has been stable since February.

These guys are cloning crayfish. I have a few feeder fish in the tank also.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

As for the fuzzy spot I would take a q-tip and - remove cray fish and swab around the area with household 3% hydrogen peroxide, dripy swab to make sure you get enough on the spot then swab over the spot. Watch and see if it comes back if so do a series of the same thing for at least 5 days.

That seems external and maybe easy.

The other could be bacterial infection in the shell. Some times it will some off with a molt. But since there are 2 it seems maybe more concerning.

These crays are inexpensive. So buying medicine is fairly expensive. Maybe you have a friend with some spare medicine. I think sulfa might be good but not 100% so would be needing to verify that choice. Also some other medications might also work.

An economical option along with doing every other day good pwc's and vac'ing the substrate every few days till there is no more muck flooding out of it (it's amazing what gets stuck under DW and in corners), is plain Epsom salts. Found at the grocery or pharmacy. No oils fragrances etc., just Magnesium sulfate. So although the Water is good info from the lfs, next time write down what actual numbers they have for everything they test for.

These issues are usually from a period of bad water co ditions. As the little guys get bigger and you feed them more stuff, there is more waste and it does build up fast.

Oh and you can swab the other one with H2O2 as well, justnfor good measure, but it's likely good nutrition and perfect water will be a huge help.

When was the last moltings?

What is the pH?

Back
Top Bottom