Spot on Pearl Gourami's Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonzo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Had Gourami get old and succumb to what appeared to be Cotton Wool Bacteria

Thoroughly cleaned tank and filter. Let dry out for couple weeks and then set up and cycled tank.
Pearl Gourami and 7 Neon Tetras. Gourami got spot on head that looked like a scale standing up slightly. Treated with Ick Remedy from Top Fin for 6 days, then 10 days with Nitrofurazone and daily 30% water changes for couple days and then 50% for 8 days. Removed carbon filter and carbonate bag during treatment.

Took pictures a few minutes ago. When enlarged it appears to be an open wound like an abrasion. Small hole in lighthouse that he has gone into and is pretty small for him. Will remove it later today when get something larger to replace it.

Rinsed new carbon filter and new bag of carbonate and installed after treatment.

Friend said possible Hole in Head Disease and should remove all carbon. Should I remove filter again and maybe carbonate. bag?

I'm at a loss. Until I inherited that gourami and 10 gal tank 4 years ago the only thing I knew about fish was how to catch, cook and eat them

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Post clear pictures of the fish so we can try to work out what is wrong.

What's a bag of carbonate?

-------------------

White cotton wool like stuff on fish is usually Saprolegnia fungus and can be treated with salt (1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres/ 5 gallons).

By flushing out the tank and letting it dry, you will have wiped out the beneficial filter bacteria that helps keep the water clean. You should monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change any day you have a reading above 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If you have carbon (black granulated substance) in the filter, it will remove medications and stop them working.

The Nitrofurazone has probably knocked the filter bacteria about too. Don't add medications to a tank unless you know what the problem is. Most medications are poisonous and weaken the fish. Adding the wrong medications doesn't help the fish but increases the risk of drug resistant pathogens.

Had Gourami get old and succumb to what appeared to be Cotton Wool Bacteria

Thoroughly cleaned tank and filter. Let dry out for couple weeks and then set up and cycled tank.
Pearl Gourami and 7 Neon Tetras. Gourami got spot on head that looked like a scale standing up slightly. Treated with Ick Remedy from Top Fin for 6 days, then 10 days with Nitrofurazone and daily 30% water changes for couple days and then 50% for 8 days. Removed carbon filter and carbonate bag during treatment.

Took pictures a few minutes ago. When enlarged it appears to be an open wound like an abrasion. Small hole in lighthouse that he has gone into and is pretty small for him. Will remove it later today when get something larger to replace it.

Rinsed new carbon filter and new bag of carbonate and installed after treatment.

Friend said possible Hole in Head Disease and should remove all carbon. Should I remove filter again and maybe carbonate. bag?

I'm at a loss. Until I inherited that gourami and 10 gal tank 4 years ago the only thing I knew about fish was how to catch, cook and eat them

For starters, a 10 gallon tank is way too small for a Pearl Gourami since they get to about 5-6 inches long.

Next, if there was a scale or scales raised, it most likely was a parasitic worm that was making an exit if it wasn't the result of the fish backing out of the lighthouse. The end result of a worm would be an open hole but not the condition " Hole in the head." Hole in the head is more common in fish in the cichlid family and quite uncommon in most other species. There is also strong evidence that Hole in the head is caused by poor diet and poor water conditions.

As Colin mentioned, using the wrong medication is as bad as not using any medication. Nitrofurazone is only really effective when used in lower Ph water ( under 7.0) and in water that is low in GH. It's good that you removed whatever you were using for carbonate replacement but if your Ph was higher than 7.0, it probably didn't matter as the medicine was not going to be effective.

Nitrofurazone treats gram + and many gram- bacteria so it's very possible your bacteria bed has been affected. You really only want to use any of the Furazone meds in a bare hospital tank.

So moving forward, a picture ( close up if possible) will definitely help as well as a full panel of your water quality. With that information, a proper diagnosis and treatment plan can be made. (y)

No resources in Beaufort. Tideline in Charleston sold me fish and supplies, including nitro. I did not want to treat, and certainly not whole tank but took their advice. Water analysis on 2/11 - prior to nitro: pH 7.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, KH 1, GH 6. Added 1/2 t buffer 7.5
Today pH 7.0, KH about 2.5 -- only 2 test kits I have. Took some pictures w camera and phone. Trying to figure out how to post them

Meant to say bag of coral to help w KH levels. Started tank with spring water. Tap water since w Prime and sit overnight. Added Stability initially and couple times since. Nitro finished off my plants. Suggestions for replacing them? He loved them. Planned to buy a more comprehensive testing kit but have not gotten to it

Gouramis and most tetras come from soft acidic water (pH below 7.0, GH below 100ppm) and do not need a high GH or KH. You don't need to add anything to raise the pH or KH for these types of fish.

-------------------

To upload pictures, look under the box where you type your response. There should be 2 buttons (Post quick reply) and (Go advanced). Click Go advanced and it will bring up a window to type in with more features.

At the top of the new area where you type is a smiley face. On the right of that is a symbol of a paperclip called attachments. Click attachments and a pop-up window will appear.

Click "Choose File", then find the image/s you want to upload and follow the prompts.

You can also upload images or video to image hosting websites and copy & paste the link here. We can view the images on the other website.

-------------------

What sort of light unit is above the aquarium?
What colour spectrum or Kelvin (K) rating is on the globe?
How long is the light on for each day?

Do you use an aquarium plant fertiliser?
If yes, what brand and how often do you use it?

-------------------

LIST OF PLANTS TO TRY
Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow or twisted/ spiral Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).
The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

Ambulia, H. polysperma, Elodia/ Hydrilla and Vallis are tall plants that do well along the back. Rotala macranda is a medium/ tallish red plant that usually does well.

H. ruba/ rubra is a medium height plant that looks good on the sides of the tank.

Cryptocorynes are small/ medium plants that are taller than pygmy chain swords but shorter than H. rubra. They also come in a range of colours, mostly different shades of green, brown or purplish red. Crypts are not the easiest plant to grow but can do well if they are healthy to begin with and are not disturbed after planting in the tank.

Most Amazon sword plants can get pretty big and are usually kept in the middle of the tank as a show piece. There is an Ozelot sword plant that has brown spots on green leaves, and a red ruffle sword plant (name may vary depending on where you live) with deep red leaves.

There is a pygmy chain sword plant that is small and does well in the front of the tank.

Spot on gourami's head etc

20230304_131438.jpgI truly and sincerely appreciate all the advice and tips. I want to do my very best to have a healthy ecosystem so my gourami and 7 little neon tetras can thrive.

I realize tank is too small. I will get a bigger one as he grows.
I have a purple 3w LED in the lid that I use sometimes during the day, the two days a week I am here. The tank is in front of a window with a large shade that is closed enough that only filtered natural sunlight gets in.
I live right down the street and come in daily to feed and care for them.
I use Flourish and Flourish Advance and Flourish Excel. I have not used it the past couple of weeks because I believe the Nitro finished killing the last of my plants.
I use Prime for water changes (along with letting water sit overnight) and Stability from time to time.

I am going to look at plants online so I can see what I want. Is it OK to order plants online as long as someone brings them inside when they arrive so they are not cooking in the hot sun. Or, should I drive the hour to Charleston or Savannah to buy plants?

I think I have some better pictures on my camera but I did not bring it today.
Lonzo

View attachment 325055I truly and sincerely appreciate all the advice and tips. I want to do my very best to have a healthy ecosystem so my gourami and 7 little neon tetras can thrive.

I realize tank is too small. I will get a bigger one as he grows.
I have a purple 3w LED in the lid that I use sometimes during the day, the two days a week I am here. The tank is in front of a window with a large shade that is closed enough that only filtered natural sunlight gets in.
I live right down the street and come in daily to feed and care for them.
I use Flourish and Flourish Advance and Flourish Excel. I have not used it the past couple of weeks because I believe the Nitro finished killing the last of my plants.
I use Prime for water changes (along with letting water sit overnight) and Stability from time to time.

I am going to look at plants online so I can see what I want. Is it OK to order plants online as long as someone brings them inside when they arrive so they are not cooking in the hot sun. Or, should I drive the hour to Charleston or Savannah to buy plants?

I think I have some better pictures on my camera but I did not bring it today.
Lonzo

With summer coming, if nobody is there to take them in when they arrive, I'd do the drive.
If someone is there to receive them, my buddy Keith @ https://kjeaquatics.com has some dynamite plants and prices as well as other items. ( And No, I don't get any kickbacks for the recommendation. ;) )

(y)(y)

I really appreciate that Andy. I will give Keith a shout

Back
Top Bottom