Spotted pictus catfish sick...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NjFabianoWNY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Spotted pictus catfish SICK, HELP!

Hello. I have a couple tank and a problem in my 46 gallon, well planted, sand substrate. 12 fish including Angels, zebra danios, guaramis, and TWO spotted pim cats. My pim cat(s) are sick and I need help figuring out how sick.

It's an established tank that has had no changes made in months. Weekly 25% water changes with 30 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia....water tested weekly and never, including now, have had any alarming water numbers. All other fish and plants seem to be thriving.

My pim cats come out and go crazy at feeding time, but other than that are generally hiding in their separate shelters during the day, but come out at night. The norm.

Last night I noticed one of the cats had very minor fuzz (fungus) on its body. With the spots and color variation it was hard to even tell it was there. Then upon further inspection I noticed there was a slight RED tint to his "lips" and a little up his nose. Also the tips of a couple fins looked slightly rotted.
I looked at his buddy and it's mouth/nose was also slightly red, but with NONE of the other symptoms.

I went to bed and upon checking first thing this morning it was slightly more noticeable on the problem Cat. Also the tips of some fins look slightly rotted, and tip of 1 of his barbel was slightly split at the end. Also he stayed swimming out and about around the tank throughout today, even in the middle and top of tank. Which is not normal for him. Both of them also had little to no appetite this morning.

Any ideas of what it could be/course of action?
I was thinking of putting both of them in my hospital tank, but would almost rather just treat the tank in precaution to other fish already infected.

Can't seem to find too much info on this other than possibly a general fungus infection. I am about to try and treat the whole tank with API PimaFix, since there seem to be little to know cons with that medicine to any other fish/plants/filters in the tank.
To sum up symptoms:

1. Slight fuzz in various patched on body.
2. Red around mouth and nose.
3. Tips of some fins slightly rotted and 1 Slightly frayed barbel tip.
4. Swimming about all parts of tank during the day.
5. Loss of appetite.

Second pim cat has only the redness symptom.

Any comments are appreciated, thanks...

Last edited:
I don't know how relevant this is, but I had a good batch of those symptoms with my cories a couple weeks ago. Took the water testers and they read normal and everything. Was very stumped and no one seemed to know whats going on.

Last effort ditch was to vacuum the substrate very well once a day for a week or so. I figured since they stay near the bottom of the tank it may be best at the very least to make sure it's clean for them. It seemed to have stopped the rot from continuing and they are healed now. They had redness around the gills and mouth that are gone now too.

Just sharing my experience, I'm not sure if this will solve your problem but good luck!

I wonder if it's columnaris infection. It spreads fast. You may want to google it.
Btw, 30 is a little high on nitrates.
Good luck!

The one with bad symptoms passed away today :-( ....pretty ****** because those two fish are the two I started the tank with.

I brought my water in for testing just to make sure and the LFS said it was absolutely fine.

They said it could be any number of things, but so far no symptoms on any of the other 12 fish except the red on the other pim cat.
My worst fear is it's something that might take over the whole tank.

I've started treating the tank with a pinch of salt and PimaFix today.

We'll see.

Did you read up on columnaris? It really sounds like it.

Also, if the fish store is using paper test strips, you can't rely on the results. The paper strips are worthless. A liquid test is the only way to accurately know the levels in the water.

Both myself, and the fish store used liquid test kits. My water is perfect in all my tanks.

I did read up on it, it does sound like it could be columnaris. Can't be certain because symptoms aren't exact, but I realize symptoms can vary slightly.

Unfortunately I woke up this morning to the second pim cat passed away. With barely any symptoms. Idk. The rest of the fish in the tank seem great. I Will just have to keep on eye on the tank

It's really disappointing. I haven't had any problems in any of my tank since I really dove into the hobby last year.
But now this, and I'm currently treating ICH in my 75 gallon new world cichlid tank.

I've tested all my water with paper strips, liquid tests, and also brought in my water to LFS and got tested with liquid tests. I guess problems are inevitable.

I had 2 pictus cats and both died unexpectedly the same day. No reason why.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Back
Top Bottom