spraybar placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
so today during my pwc and tank clean of the week, i decided to reposition my spraybar, i pointed it at the back glass at a downward angle, instead of straight toward the front glass. there is barely any, if any at all, surface agitation now though, is that going to be a problem??

I don't see any problems at all, unless you ever had to turn the temp up, for like ick treatment. But if kept around 78, I don't see any problems. And if you aren't sure, could always add an airstone.

hmm didnt know that. maybe i will turn it back toward the surface and see if the agitation helps dissepate (sp?) the heat more than the way it is placed now.

i have noticed today that the gouramis are coming to the surface more.

Oxygen enters the water at the surface and surface agitation helps expose more of the water to the air. That's the idea behind adding an airstone or something like that anyway.

Is this a planted tank? If it is then less surface aggitation is better, the plants will provide the oxygen and aggitation will only outgas CO2.

Alshain said:
Is this a planted tank? If it is then less surface aggitation is better, the plants will provide the oxygen and aggitation will only outgas CO2.

Aggitation will only outgas CO2 if you are injecting it. If you aren't, then the CO2 will be more stable with the air around the tank. I run a airstone in my 75G 24/7, and I'm injecting CO2, and don't see much a difference, other than fish not dying at night due to the lack of O2. My CO2 levels are right where I want them.

Back
Top Bottom