SPS losing color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well this summer has been quite a battle. We've had unsually hot weather and it's been hard to keep my tanks temp in check (ya I shoulda bought a chiller) and since the heat I've been having some issues. I lost a couple of sps to totall bleaching but my other sps have alll dulled. I have 3 montipora's and the polyps went from bright green, orange and purple to all dull colors. All my other acro's have all gone dull as well. Can this happen from the heat?

Params

Nitrate - 0
Phos - 0
Cal - 420
Alk - 8
Mag 1250

My LPS are totally fine, only my sps seem effected. I'm running 240 watts of LEDs over my 55. I've got them turned down to 50% which is where everything seemed happy until the summer got hot. I also started a new bucket of Instant Ocean salt around the same time, could I have a bad bucket of salt?

Thoughts?

did you mix the bucket up first. Often they don't give it a good mixing as the various components desend into the bucket.

I mix days before. I don't keep my mag there it has fallen there, I have supplements but they take a while to get back up. My salts mixes at about 1250 so if I don't dose it usually ends up there. Ive been keeping coral for 3 years and I've never seen this happen before, this is why I'm wondering if I have a crappy bucket of salt or something? I'm also really thinking it was the hot August but I'm looking for someone with more expereince as I've only had sps since January...

Never had temp that high. You may just have to wait for the tank to get back to its regular cycle you don't want to add anything and you end up in more problems. Cause you tested and did not find a problem

1.025 is where i keep it. Ya I'm thinking of just waiting it out, some stuff alerady looks a bit better.

Definitely any fluctuations in temp, salinity, nutrient levels, or alk can have a noticeable effect on sps.

Well summers over and I'm back home so I'll just have to baby my tank for a while. I had unexpected travel in August so things got out of whack. Thanks guys...

Back
Top Bottom