Staghorn and fertilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's a lot to read but it's worth it. I am having a hard time to get the right fertilizer chemistry for my aquarium. Unfortunately there is no easy way to explain it. I am going to write everything about whats going bad, and what i already had done to fix it. What i need, is the right balance of fertilizer added in the morning, depending on what my plants needs. Whats very interesting, is that its possible that whey will correct this problem and help other in the process. Just a reminder, i took 4 days searching on they internet for solution that do not exists. Or maybe i'm dumb and mist it.lol

Here are my test result. I test every day for a precise result.

Fert result morning(before fertilizer added) in ppm
Iron = 0.20
cal = 30
p04 = (0.25) to 0.35 (around)
n03 = 5
gh = 4
kh = 5.8

Fert result morning (after fertilizer added) in ppm
Iron = .25
cal = 30
p04 = (0.60) to .70 (around)
n03 = (6) to 8 (around)
gh = 4
kh = 5.8

high light 9h on
pressurize c02
using dry fertilizer macro and micro
pps-pro every day.
plants: micro sword grass, poecock moss.

You probably want to know first whats his not working in they aquarium. Here is a very precise list, and what i try or did to fix it.

A lot of staghorn algae. Unfortunately this is a big problem in the tank. Its killing my sword grass, then the pollution from death plants help grow the staghorn more and it make a vicious circle. Some say its water flow, pollution or c02. None work for me. The flow is amazing. Co2 is control at ph 6.6 for the shrimps. If i turn it of, it will go back to a ph of 7.2. Aquarium is very clean.

Then there is excel and hydrogen peroxide, its a temporary solution that i will do today. i don't like using it, because peacock moss is affected in the same ways as algae, even if i do haft the dosing.

What i heard, and peak my interest for me, is the fact that magnesium and calcium could be the factor of staghorn. What it say is, the balance ratio of calcium and magnesium his 3: 1 to 4:1 so if i have 30 ppm of calcium and i have a gh of 4, i must have 2 ppm of magnesium. Saying that, means to me, i am to low of magnesium adding magnesium could fix the problem, but could it kill my red Cristal shrimps having a higher magnesium.

Here the math:
(gh in ppm) - (2.5 x ca in ppm)/ 4.1

1)can to low of magnesium could cause staghorn to bloom? Can some one confirm this

Now for the micro sword grass. Old leaf are dying and new one are ok. From that knowledge, and my test result, i cant find out whats can go wrong. Unfortunately i don't know. Seams to me that my plants are taking very low dosage of the fert. P.S. i can see lots of pearling in the afternoon that tells a different story. So yes, they are dying. They old leaf turn yellow then die. I do get a good growth also.

2)Old micro sword grass leaf are yellow to (dead), and new one are ok. what can it be from the research?

The total of the 2:
I used to have very low phosphate. They imbalance of nitrate and phosphate created spot algae on my sword grass. So i added phosphate. Now its dissipating. I also added iron, seeing that every one has it at 1 ppm, i decide to go higher from ,25 to .80 ppm. Having phosphate and iron fix, it bring staghorn to a super bloom. 4 days later i bring back iron to .25 thinking that hey is part of the culprit. It did slow down, but its still bad.

3) Am i right to lower my iron to .25 ppm for PPS.pro? On pps-pro there iron is at .1 ppm seem to me that's to low?

conclusiuon
iron high vs low (need help)
magnesium low compare to the math (maybe, need others opinion)
Nitrate can be higher to 10ppm and phosphate to .80 ppm (maybe, need others opinion)

If you have comments on that to, go for it.

4) One other thing. Its possible, they "iron phosphate" is created from mixing the 2 fert all most at the same time. If so, will the test of iron or phosphate be affected by the result?

Original recipe for 350 ml

kno3 = 21 g
k2s04 = 23 g
kh2p04 = 2 g
kgs04 = 14 g

1 feb
Here is my recipe for 350 ml

kno3 = 23.1 g nitrate
k2s04 = 23 g potassium
kh2p04 = 1.9 g phosphate
kgs04 = 2 g magnesium

Next recipe for 350 ml

kno3 = 23 g
k2s04 = 23 g
kh2p04 = 2.1 g
kgs04 = 0 g

Send me private text if you don't understand what i'm righthing. I will correct it. Better yet, if you can correct my typing, its would be cool, lol.

Are your plants just kind of dying, or do you see them turn yellow or something first? Are you getting good growth?

thanks for the reply. yes, they are dying. They old leaf turn yellow then die. I do get a good growth also.
i am going to add this to the main text

Because of the staghorn i am now adding excel and H.P. i may had over did it. Still, it a quick fix. I hope people will read my long report and have lots of comment on it.

Back
Top Bottom