Starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wondering about peoples experience with different species of starfish. I'd love to add one ( and my boyfriend REALLY wants one in the tank.. lol) but of course want to hear what other people think. Of course a LFS has lots of chocolate chips, but those are out of question.. someone posted a picture of one eating pepperment shrimp. I dont want my shrimp gone!

Anyway I have been getting mixed reviews about different types of stars when it comes to what they will eat. I have Two feather dusters, hermits, a few turbos, cerith, nassarius snails, sally light foot crab ( doing great with everyone else so far) , 2 peppermints and one skunk cleaner.

From what I can tell one of the brittle stars may be the best option? no shrimp eating! LOL
If its totally out of the question, its understandable. Just curious!

I really doubt if the CC star caught the shrimp. It had to be sick or dead for a slow star to catch IMO, but CC stars are not reef safe. If you have corals they will not last long. Try the linknia stars. They come in many lively colors which you see below. I know some may disagree but dont expose to air when adding to the tank and watch the LFS to make sure he does not.

000_0252.jpg

100_1046-med.jpg

100_0357-med.jpg

No corals now ( not for at least a year or two, until I get better lighting). I was more worried about my shrimp / feather dusters. Those sure look wonderful! Are they just called Linknia stars or is that the species name? Unfortunatly I haven't seen anything that colorful at the LFS, maybe will have to see if they'll order one

Thanks as always! :) Are yours pretty easy to care for? LiveAquaria lists it as difficult to care for.. probably due to just having stable enough water parameters perhaps?

My blue linknia is over 3 yrs old. Doing fine and the purple one is over a yr old. The orange one is in a friends tank and over 2 yrs old. They do need a stable tank and need a long slow acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom