Starting 75 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I recently bought a used 75 Gallon Tank with an Aquaclear 70 Filter, and a Maxi-Jet 1200 air pump. It also came with a 30w lighting system but no lid. I have 50 pounds of small gravel for the bottom.

I'm really interested in starting a live plant aquarium but everything on the internet seems conflicting or flat out confusing. Just wondering if anyone could help me out with what types of plants I might be able to grow, and if they will grow right in the gravel or if I have to purchase anything else?

Also, if everything that came with my tank is adequate for the size of my aquarium or if I have to replace anything?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I recently bought a used 75 Gallon Tank with an Aquaclear 70 Filter, and a Maxi-Jet 1200 air pump. It also came with a 30w lighting system but no lid. I have 50 pounds of small gravel for the bottom.

I'm really interested in starting a live plant aquarium but everything on the internet seems conflicting or flat out confusing. Just wondering if anyone could help me out with what types of plants I might be able to grow, and if they will grow right in the gravel or if I have to purchase anything else?

Also, if everything that came with my tank is adequate for the size of my aquarium or if I have to replace anything?

Thanks!

Just about any light will grow some plants. For example anubias will grow in a dark closet lol
Without knowing more detaiks it is hard to help. For example what kind of lighting? What is the planned stock?

You will need to upgrade the lighting as 30w of stock lighting is very dim and even low light tolerant plants like Anubia's will struggle.

Also how big are the individual grains of your gravel?

Before going any further you need to decide how much time and money you want to invest. An easy low light tank, medium light tank the will require dry ferts and using either CO2 or liquid carbon, or a high light tank that will need CO2, and a good dosing plan of either El or PPS-Pro using dry ferts.

Back
Top Bottom