starting a 10gal nano reef check list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK i had a 55 gal with softies but took it down long time ago and went to brackish but now i want back in to the marine world so yeah...

Things i have:
salt
power heads koralia nano X2
100w heater
of course 10 gal
rodi unit
lots of dead rock from my previous setup

Things im gonna get in a bit if it all goes down:
cup of sand from a friends reef tank
24" t5ho 96watt 4X24watt bulbs(unless some thinks this is too much or too little i want to be able to keep anything.)
some kind of filtration(advice needed on this one)

does this look good or what else do i need i will start posting pix when i have this all figure out.

Add a hydrometer or better, a refractometer. Also a small idea is an auto top off. With a tank that small, unless you are there to fill it up every day, an auto top off will be a good investment.

With that lighting you can keep anything, although not sure about clams. Clams are generally best on halides.
For a filter the rock will be fine. Just make sure the nano's aren't leaving dead spots.

Add a hydrometer or better, a refractometer. Also a small idea is an auto top off. With a tank that small, unless you are there to fill it up every day, an auto top off will be a good investment.

With that lighting you can keep anything, although not sure about clams. Clams are generally best on halides.
For a filter the rock will be fine. Just make sure the nano's aren't leaving dead spots.
Thanks for the advice

forgot to mention i have a hydrometer and a auto top off from my previous setup sorry i forgot to put those in.

but on the halides i didn't want to get it because of heat issue and here in cali it gets hot in the summer times
ok but i went ahead and ordered the lights dont know when its gonna get here but its ok cause i still have to cycle the tank first anyways.
any other advice this is my first nano and do i need light for the cycle process.

Make sure before adding livestock get a liquid test kit. Some people start the cycle without lights to help cut down on the algae bloom.

Make sure before adding livestock get a liquid test kit. Some people start the cycle without lights to help cut down on the algae bloom.

thanks ill be sure to get the test kt...i have one question if the water from my house runs through copper pipe could i use those water after it went through my rodi unit.

From what I have read as long as the copper is before the filter it is safe.

The copper has to be before the filter...only plastics after the filter.

The light system, even if it is raised above the tank, will heat up your aquarium. You should get a cooling fan to help bring the temperature down a little bit, or you could also make one for no money with an old computer fan and a charger as I did. Either way, you should have a way to cool the tank down from the strong lighting, which one little fan usually does the trick.

IMO you dont want Halides on a 10 gallon tank. Will be too much lighting. On a 10 gallon tank you could probably use PC`s and get away with most corals. T5HO`s and MH`s would be too much. JMO

IMO you dont want Halides on a 10 gallon tank. Will be too much lighting. On a 10 gallon tank you could probably use PC`s and get away with most corals. T5HO`s and MH`s would be too much. JMO

oh but i already order the lights i guess ill just hang it higer from the tank

ok but im gonna start to cycle the tank would it be good if i use the water from an existing tank.

ill have pix when my camera get in.

finally got around to do some updating i already have the tank cycled thanks to a friend of mine cause i got a cup of live sand from his tank(over 2 years old) got two clown yesterday and here they are.

img_1062149_0_a3874bd0c55d7a230d73fff3f4d79c3f.jpg

img_1062149_1_b243c75d13d5a3138f68e34e76e93da3.jpg

img_1062149_2_96c501aa30156d51d4597a34febf507d.jpg

thats how it sit right now
ill get pic of the lights when it arrives its schedule to be here on the 5th

that will be the only two fish i plan to have in there the rest will be corals but that will be later cause school is around the corner and books are draining my pockets.

i have had success with cc that why i went with it no flaming on cc please.

i picked up a few things from a friend of mine i got some micro algae and a mushroom to start off with the corals
i have the algae inside my tank but ill trim it when it get bigger. here's some pix.

sorry but i dont have my camera yet so picture is from my phone only

img_1062724_0_c828cf178fd0361143bda14883638a96.jpg

img_1062724_1_ed8e4e256fd6b986ff8e249cc1fe09f8.jpg

ok im having trouble keeping the temp stable because at night the water gets colder but some nights the temp stays the same its like the heater only works sometimes at night.
But i think im just gonna by a new heater to see if it fix this problem.
oh yeah and im also starting to see what i think its coralline algae.

ok will i put in a new heater yesterday in the afternoon and since then my temp stay the same(78*) my lights is getting in today so i might pick up a frag of birdsnest to see how sps will do in my tank ill post some pics as soon as i get it.

ok well i just received my lights put in on and here are the pic

beofre
img_1063179_0_96c501aa30156d51d4597a34febf507d.jpg

after(this is just with two bulbs on not all 4).
img_1063179_1_5c7847c5a4622321de01daa1561e8fbd.jpg

and my two clowns
img_1063179_2_27f7305262d618a948b0bc3d16d79ae3.jpg

sorry for the bad pictures

Back
Top Bottom