Starting a 150 Tall Need Help! * Please Read*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rexless

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi my name is mario,
I just bought this 150 gallon tall tank that was leaking for 200 dollars, it came with wooden stand, tops, lights... i just cut the whole seal from the bottom off and re-sealed it completely and i waited 3 days and now today i filled it up to VICTORY!! NO LEAKS!! :D(y)..

now for the fun part!!

i need to know what is the best filtration system to get and as far as money well lets just say the cheaper the better :cool: but if there is no cheap way to do it than i just have to spend the extra to get it.

so whats the best filtration system to get??
how many bags of gravel do i need??
or should i do sand??

besides the hang on filters or canister what else should i get for the tank to run smoothly??

i heard someone mention before power-head or whatever to help current??
but what do the power-head actually do for my tank and is it necessary to have it??

also someone mention a uv stabilizer??
how do it work and is it also necessary??

i was gonna get 1 heater and put it where the filtration system would be at so it can spreed the heat through out the tank instead of 2 heaters at both ends

and thats about it....

anyone got any advice or links to sites to get any of these items i need for my tank??

i appreciate all advice but would also appreciate links as-well:D:brows::)(y):thanks: thanks

anyone have any advice or links that might help me out?

rexless said:
hi my name is mario,
I just bought this 150 gallon tall tank that was leaking for 200 dollars, it came with wooden stand, tops, lights... i just cut the whole seal from the bottom off and re-sealed it completely and i waited 3 days and now today i filled it up to VICTORY!! NO LEAKS!! :D(y)..

now for the fun part!!

i need to know what is the best filtration system to get and as far as money well lets just say the cheaper the better :cool: but if there is no cheap way to do it than i just have to spend the extra to get it.

so whats the best filtration system to get??
how many bags of gravel do i need??
or should i do sand??

besides the hang on filters or canister what else should i get for the tank to run smoothly??

i heard someone mention before power-head or whatever to help current??
but what do the power-head actually do for my tank and is it necessary to have it??

also someone mention a uv stabilizer??
how do it work and is it also necessary??

i was gonna get 1 heater and put it where the filtration system would be at so it can spreed the heat through out the tank instead of 2 heaters at both ends

and thats about it....

anyone got any advice or links to sites to get any of these items i need for my tank??

i appreciate all advice but would also appreciate links as-well:D:brows::)(y):thanks: thanks

What kind of fish are you planning to get?

For filter, fluval is cheaper than eheim. So, I would recommend fluval fx5. Its good for up to 400g but I consider it only good for up to 200g.

Substrate: I'll start with a pound per gallon. I like to have 2.5-3" thick substrate.

Powerhead: it increases water flow in your tank. Some fish likes good water flow. Some people use it so there's no dead spots in your tank.

Heater: I put mine next to the filter outtake so the heat spreads to the entire tank. 2 heaters are preferable in-case the other one malfunction.

I don't really know much about UV sterilizers but I read that it helps with controlling algae.

I just finish Sealing 150 gallon NOW QUESTION!!! PLEASE READ!!!

i just fixed my 150 tall tank and its full of water and i have 1 hang on filter running now, i fish net all the floating particles and i want to know...

can i just add the gravel i have and start switching the fishes ova or what>??

i have a 55 gallon tank that has like 14 fishes in there and about 5 maybe 6 of them will stay in the 55 since they will only be about 4-7 inch at most

someone told me after i fill the tank and i know for sure its holding the water to empty the tank and refill than start adding the fish but i dont see why???

do the seal have chemicals that might harm the fish or what>> ??

because i dont see the point of emptying it and refilling it??

also my connector to the stink broke so everything in manual labor another reason why i dont want to empty it just to refill it??

anyone has any suggestion or have did what im planning to do which is just add the gravel and fishes and see what happens??

list of fish in my 55 gallon:
4 oscars (white,tiger,common,red) from 5-10 inch
2 managuense cichlid, both are about 5-6 inches
1 pleco, 8 inches
1 bumble bee, 7 inches
2 jack dempsey, 1 is 4 inches other is 7-8 inches
3 convicts, from 3-5 inches
2 green terra, both are 4-5 inches
1 red belly pacu, 8 inches
1 parrot fish, about 2-3 inches (the other one must of got ate by one of the bigger fish)
1 red zebra, 6 inches
1 Blue johanni cichlid

i also have i think its called a butterflykonfi or somthing like that its really aggressive and is in a 30 gallon tank by himself no matter what fish it is he will kill it he is about 8-10 inches with teeth, black and siverish white strips across the body.

also have a fighting fish in a 10 gallon tank he will stay there lol...

thanks, anyone else in Advice or comments of what should i do?

Rexless, welcome to AA!

I just read your other thread, which is more or less the same as this one. It often gets very confusing when you have bits & pieces of info in separate threads. <And the replies might get all mixed up if one have not read both threads.> Would you like me to merge the 2 threads?

For Q's on this thread:
1. 3 days after a fresh seal is a bit soon to use the tank ... the silicone continue to leech out the solvent, sometime for up to a week. That is why the advice to change out the water. I would leave the water in the tank for a day or 2 to test for slow leaks, then do a water change.
2. It is much easier to set up substrate, etc. with an empty tank... another reason to empty it.
3. What fish are you moving over? You will need to move the bio-filter at that time as well, so you can avoid a major cycle & stressing the fish. If you plan to leave some fish in the 55, you will need to split the biofilter & so need some good planning.
4. A HOB is prob not big enough for a 150 ... you should look at adding a canister IMO.

Back
Top Bottom