Starting a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacob Brown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So in the past I had a 55 gallon tank with an Oscar and a pleco with two jack Dempseys (surprised they got along). Anyways I have long got rid of all that and I am now about to start a 40 gallon tank and I plan to place a male Betta with a community of other fish (I've read that'll be ok) but I don't know what I need and what algae eaters I should get or any plants. So what would you all recomend? Any tips would be nice, thanks

I've had the betta's ok, and then they take offense to say a gourami and have to be removed. Mainly just to have a backup plan imo.

Avoid anything with flashy flowing fins, or anything that nips flashy flowing fins (certain barbs and tetras). Usually things like cories, khuli loaches and more of the ground dwellers go unnoticed by most bettas. Do NOT put any other sort of anabantoids in with it (gourami, paradise fish etc). Shrimp can be hunted, snails less so. Lots of hiding places, well planted.

Back
Top Bottom