Starting my conversion to live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have always wanted a live planted tank, but never wanted to deal with any more maintenance then I had too, but I'm finally willing to at least try my hand at it. Right now I have a 55g freshwater with gravel substrate, a large piece of driftwood, and aquarium/grow lights that operate in the "wide spectrum". My stock is in my profile. I would love a plant like a sword, but will that thrive in my current setup? I was also thinking I could do a Anubis or java and tie that to my driftwood. So my question is what would be a good hardy starter plant for my setup, and wouldn't necessarily require a CO2 pump.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3241487601.jpg
    image-3241487601.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 81
Anubis would be really nice! Nothing is really required as far as ferts or co2 that stuff will grow no matter what! Great starter plant

Anubias is good. I like the "filter plants" like certian mosses that just soak up all the bad water levels up... help keep your tanks maintinence schedual pretty minimum

hippy guy said:
Anubias is good. I like the "filter plants" like certian mosses that just soak up all the bad water levels up... help keep your tanks maintinence schedual pretty minimum

That was my hope, nitrate eaters = fewer water changes. On paper anyway.

Super_Blueberry said:
I have always wanted a live planted tank, but never wanted to deal with any more maintenance then I had too, but I'm finally willing to at least try my hand at it. Right now I have a 55g freshwater with gravel substrate, a large piece of driftwood, and aquarium/grow lights that operate in the "wide spectrum". My stock is in my profile. I would love a plant like a sword, but will that thrive in my current setup? I was also thinking I could do a Anubis or java and tie that to my driftwood. So my question is what would be a good hardy starter plant for my setup, and wouldn't necessarily require a CO2 pump.

Thanks!

I've got some Swords in gravel. You can try adding a root tab underneath or buried next to the sword ( they are heavy root feeders). Or plant the sword in a pot with a root tab and bury or hide the pot behind a rock or driftwood.

I love my Java Ferns :)

How long do the root tabs last? Is that a one time deal to get the plant established? Or do I have to put another tab down by it from time to time?

Super_Blueberry said:
How long do the root tabs last? Is that a one time deal to get the plant established? Or do I have to put another tab down by it from time to time?

They last 4-6 months AFAIK. It's good to replace them. You may notice the plant showing stress or deficiencies if the root tabs run out.

Ive got anubias, hairgrass, various mosses, crypt ricca and all that growing with zero ferts at all added to my tank. (only prime on wc days) I Have used flourish root tabs before, and didnt notice much difference. C02 did however, a bunch lol.
I would say if your using plants that take nutrients from the water column, root tabs wont do, because their not root feeders, since their sucking up your nitrates in the water colums.
That being said,. their are better options than going no fert, Im just lazy I guess, and if it doesnt seem to need anything, than I guess I tend to not add stuff.
good luck with plants though, it will certianly help maintain your waters perimeters, and your fish can tell they are real, and they will be more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom