starting over, seeking new fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajungrl81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since the last of my old fish has gone to the great fishbowl in the sky, I'm looking to revamp my entire aquarium setup. My main tank is a 30g with two Tetra Whisper filters (an EX 30 & I 40); I also have a 3g and a 1g both with Tetra microfilters (and can we say water changes galore?). All are currently empty.

The only thing I've decided for sure at this point is that I'd like to have neon tetras in my main tank. The girl at the LFS recommended the following as potential tank-mates: dwarf gourami, cory, rasbora, cherry barbs, guppies. Having been down the guppy road before, I'd rather not have them again until I can dedicate an entire aquarium to the prolific little critters. And I've heard that even the dwarf gourami are considered semi-aggressive, which makes me leery of putting them in with neons.

Suggestions, anyone?
:fish2:

I would say go ahead with a dwarf gourami. 95% of the time they are only aggressive towards other gourami and ignore the other fish entirely.

Those are all good suggestions and I don't really see a problem with any of them to be honest.

Threadfin rainbows, Celestial pearl danios, Bristlenose pleco, Red Cherry shrimp, and nerite snails would also be good options for that size tank.

I have a dwarf G with neon tetras and there's no problems at all, dwarf gouramis are cool fish, real nice looking.

Thanks, I haven't had the best luck getting reliable information from our local LFS in the past (it's mostly staffed by kids working there through the summer).

Since I've mostly done single-species tanks in the past, this is a bit of a step-up for me. Would something like 8 neons, 5 each cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras, 4 albino cory & a dwarf gourami work? Or should I nix either the barbs or rasboras to allow for larger schools of the remaining two? Also, any recommendations as to whether it's better to put the gourami in before the other fish, or after?

The order doesn't matter so much but do t put the cory's in first as they need fish to survive. I would say May be get to dwarf G's just to have company. But other then all seems fine. And in the uk albino fish I would steer clear of.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The order doesn't matter so much but do t put the cory's in first as they need fish to survive. I would say May be get to dwarf G's just to have company. But other then all seems fine. And in the uk albino fish I would steer clear of.

Why do other fish need to be present? What if you were doing a Cory only tank? I have not purchased fish in a while so stocking and sequence is not a strong point with me.

Why do other fish need to be present? What if you were doing a Cory only tank? I have not purchased fish in a while so stocking and sequence is not a strong point with me.

It just means that the bottom of that tank will be ready to take them and you haven't got to worry about them as they will sort themselves out. A cory only tank if different as with any single breed tank.

Another point cory's really do better with sand substrate the gravel as the gravel can damage there barbs and mouths.

It just means that the bottom of that tank will be ready to take them and you haven't got to worry about them as they will sort themselves out. A cory only tank if different as with any single breed tank.

Another point cory's really do better with sand substrate the gravel as the gravel can damage there barbs and mouths.

They do fine on the gravel as long as it's not sharp or rough

It really doesn't matter if the corys go in the tank without any other fish in it. Not sure where this came from.

They do fine on the gravel as long as it's not sharp or rough

Agreed, although they seem to enjoy sand more than they do gravel.

Are there any advantages to one type of cory over another in a 30g, other than the difference in size? Just found another LFS, and they have not only albino but julii and emerald.

Also, those with dwarf gourami: what's your favorite variety? The same LFS above has blue/neon blue, honey, flame, and sparkling gourami available.

Back
Top Bottom