Starting Plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoobcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just getting ready to order some live plants for my 10 gallon. When I get the plants in do i have to do anything special like cleaning them or can i just plop them into my tank? Also I've been looking around online at different stores and I think I'm going to use liveaquaria.com anyone know if they are good or have other suggestions? Im more interested in quality than low prices. I mean I dont want to spend a fortune but I want high quality specimens.

I rinse the plants in water but some people use a chemical dip to kill any pests on them. I don't care much ;) you can also QT the plants if you want.

I don't buy from online retailers, I think they are expensive and often are not very trustworthy, and shipping can be a little outrageous. But i hear good things about live fish from liveaquaria.
All of my plants have come from other hobbyists on this forum, on Planted Tank's forum, or through Aquabid. The quality is superior in every case, and i've made quite a few orders ;)

There are some good online sources. Dustin's fishtank, eBay for example. I just got some Amazon Frogbit from eBay that was in great condition 2 weeks ago. From thepondplantgirlshow.

Potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, and bleach can all be used to clean plants. Make sure to look up the proper dilution for each before using it.

I highly recommend buying from hobbyists, either on the classifieds here (S_M and HN1 have some nice medium to low light plants and they are A+) or on the planted tank forum. Quality plants, quality service.

I usually give mine a short bleach solution soak (about 5 minutes) before rinsing them thoroughly. Then I put them in my tank.

If you have any questions or are looking for plants I would contact Severum Mama or HN1 on this forum. They alway give good advise and they sell plants, inverts, and other stuff as well for pretty good prices. (y)

Back
Top Bottom