Stepped mound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may be a no no in aquariums but I guess you guys will advise me. I'm looking to make a stepped hillside effect in my aquarium with each step having a different carpeting plant on. I'm planning on using straight edges of slate to make the steps. Then filling each layer with plant substrate mix and sand. As I complete the first step I will then build the second. Hoping to make it look something like this

image-2055614149.jpg

My real question is, is it possible to add sand into an aquarium safely that already has fish in?
Thanks in advance

I think your best bet to do this would be to use pink foam board. You can cut it to any shape you want and create layers to hold substrate.

U
--U
----U
------U

Each u would hold a separate 2 inch deep pocket of substrate in which you could keep different plants without worrying about them mixing.

Take a look at this and see if you can make it work for you.
3D Aquarium Background

I think your best bet to do this would be to use pink foam board. You can cut it to any shape you want and create layers to hold substrate. U --U ----U ------U Each u would hold a separate 2 inch deep pocket of substrate in which you could keep different plants without worrying about them mixing. Take a look at this and see if you can make it work for you. 3D Aquarium Background
What about adding sand into a fully stocked aquarium?

You can use a piece of pvc to get sand to the bottom with a minimal amount of mess. Just be sure to thoroughly wash the sand before adding anything.

I would take the fish out if you can. It can cause a lot lot stress. Also remember to turn off your filters and such when adding sand. I used the water bottle method when adding sand to my stocked tank

I would take the fish out if you can. It can cause a lot lot stress. Also remember to turn off your filters and such when adding sand. I used the water bottle method when adding sand to my stocked tank
I was thinking of using a plastic cup but the bottle idea sounds much better

I was thinking of using a plastic cup but the bottle idea sounds much better

Don't use a plastic cup. I did that and my tank was a mess. Cut the top off a bottle. Fill it was sand, hold it under water, let it fill up, then quickly tip it over.

Don't use a plastic cup. I did that and my tank was a mess. Cut the top off a bottle. Fill it was sand, hold it under water, let it fill up, then quickly tip it over.
What about fill the bottle with sand but keep lid on. Then fill with tank water that is pre syphoned out during water change. Place bottle in tank and slowly undo cap allowing sand to come out slowly right onto the substrate. Do you think that would work?

Back
Top Bottom