Sterilising Christmas moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bert2oo1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I've just received my Christmas moss for my tank. I brought it off eBay because I couldn't find it anywhere else. As I have no idea what kind of condition the tank it came from is in I'm looking to sterilise it some how. I was ready up about it abit and people seem to say a 1:19 bleach solution for 30 seconds to a minute. However a lot of people have said that in doing this they have killed the moss before. Is there any other way other than bleach? I really don't like the idea of using bleach on anything in my tank.

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Full disclosure is I haven't used this on plants, let alone moss but you can get more information from people who have.

potassium permanganate

BUT... One additional issue is if it was shipped (or received by the shipper) from out of your home country.

They treat the plants with pest killers so that there isn't a chance of the importation of pests.

So that would be a quarrantine period with many water changes in a container which would only be used for such purposes.

I know of one person who had received imported plants (not knowing about dips and treatments for transport to other countries) and they were added to the tank with just a rinse off and killed dwarf shrimp.

So beware and be careful OP and any others considering ordering from unknown sellers. As mentioned even say a USA seller could be the middle man for an item - imported shipment to them - for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom