Stiring your Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicolas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I changed over from gravel to sand and really like how it looks. I know you should stir around the sand when you do a water change. I have a gravel vac I was wondering if that is too powerful to use to stir it around, if that is any suggestions on to what to use.

Pantyhose over end or tape a fork to the end of it so your not sucking sand

I also just setup my sand tank, I was told to stir, I tried with the gravel vac and well lost quite a bit during the pwc. I was told it takes some practice to get it down. After speaking to many people with sand bottom tanks they all mainly have some Malaysian trumpet snails that stir the sand and get rid of the potential gas pockets which can be fatal to the fish.

I just picked up a few today ill let you know how they work. (The lfs gives them away for free) they are also considered pests

as the above poster said i think malaysian trumpet snails work the best, i had to buy some online because my local LFS does not what to bother fishing them out even if i paid them....strange people.

if you dont want to use snails ive heard of people using long chop sticks, since they are sturdy enough to stir the sand without breaking.

I just remove the dirt (poo, etc) from the top level of the sand when i'm doing a PWC.
Then, before adding the new water I carefully stir the sand with the end of the vacuum (but without any suction on it).

Back
Top Bottom