Stock hood questions for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buminbeer2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a 29 gallon tank with the normal stock stuff it comes with, and will be replacing some of it for sure (can't beat $79 and even got a net, hehe). It's an Aqueon setup. My question is two fold, one answer belongs here and the other question is on a replacement filter that I may have to ask on another forum, or maybe easy help.

I want to keep the hood and replace the fixture with something that will give med/high light to grow many plants. I want to keep the hood to keep fish from jumping out and to keep evaporation at a min. Does anyone have a link to somewhere to but a fixture that would fit where the 30" fixture is now, so I don't have to replace the hood? Money is not an issue. If not a link to where I can buy a hood and light? I'm going to order 60# of ecocomplete as the substrate I think as a side note, so been doing research on it. I don't know what to get that will fit and don't want to do any mods.
Last note, it comes with a cheap filter that I don't think will work too well, a Aqueon CA30 and was hoping for a suggestion on a good hang of back filter that will do a much better job, thanks!

Welcome to AA!

Well, you have a few options. Most of us in the planted tank world (definitely not all) prefer open tops on our tanks, but that's just a preference.

If you do want a hood, consider glass versa-tops. They make single and dual lamp versions, depending on the light you choose will determine which you need. here's a link:
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Twin-Tube Versa-Tops

As for lighting, there's a bajillion options. When I had my 29g I ran a 2x65W coralife PC fixture and could grow pretty much anything I wanted. T5HO is better than PC even, so consider those as well.

If you want a good filter, are doing high-tech planted and money is no issue, go with a canister filter. They're much better for filtration and if you're running CO2 they cause less off-gassing than a HOB.

+1 for the glass canopies. I like to keep my fish in the tanks and the glass canopy gives you a lot of options for lighting.

If you're not the DIY type, look at the Marineland Reef LED fixtures. The fixture that will fit your tank has twenty-three 1W 10,000K LEDs. That should put you in the high light range. Look at the LED thread in my signature if you're skeptical of the growing power of LEDs.

+1 for a canister filter on a planted tank.

So far, thank you both for taking the time to help answer my questions and I'm still looking into it. It seems a shame so far that looking, the lighting setup will be about twice what I payed for the tank :(
At the same time, I'd rather do it right the first time and before I put a drop of water and actually set the tank up, I want to know everything I can, hehe.
I've come a long way since I bought the tank (been researching for 3 months) and it appears popping in a coral life replacement bulb is not going to cut it.
One last thing I am confused on, big time. Been looking all day. My 29 gallon is only about 29" wide according to tape measure of the hood and I cannot find any lights/fixtures that come in that size. I know I can get a glass canopy to fit it on fosterandsmithaquatics.com (hope I can mention websites?). Maybe one of you kind people who are trying to help me out can explain that part of it or point me to a product or two on there that are not $400 to futher help me out :)
Thanks again!

Unfortunately lighting is an area where you have to pay to play. LEDs have a high buy-in cost but low electricity use and no bulb replacement. You can DIY an LED system if you're handy. I did one for my 20H for less than $100 and it would work for your tank with a couple small changes.

A 29g is nominally 30" long. Just about any 30" fixture will work. The glass canopy is a bit trickier because it has to fit inside the top frame. My 29g is an old O'Dell tank and it's a little bit narrow inside the top frame for most canopies.

I want to keep the hood and replace the fixture with something that will give med/high light to grow many plants.

Are you willing to add a C02 system to your tank? When you get too far into high light, C02 is needed both for the health of the plants and to prevent algae growth. There are still many plant options with just moderate light or even low light.

I want to keep the hood to keep fish from jumping out and to keep evaporation at a min. Does anyone have a link to somewhere to but a fixture that would fit where the 30" fixture is now, so I don't have to replace the hood? Money is not an issue. If not a link to where I can buy a hood and light?

I too recommend getting a glass canopy. I have them on both of my planted tanks and they work well. If you're not interested in the LED lighting that was previously mentioned, I would join in with neilanh and recommend that you look into T5HO lighting. I have T5 fixtures on both of my tanks from Current Usa and they really do a good job. I agree with BigJim; any 30" fixture should work. (Many come with adjustable aquarium mounts.)

Last note, it comes with a cheap filter that I don't think will work too well, a Aqueon CA30 and was hoping for a suggestion on a good hang of back filter that will do a much better job, thanks!

Another vote for using a canister filter. If you definitely want a HOB filter, I'd have to recommend Aquaclears. I have an Aquaclear70 on my 37 gal and an AC50 on my 20 gallon tank and am very pleased with both.

My thoughts are in blue. Welcome to AA, btw!

Back
Top Bottom