Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauls Aquariums

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright so im at the point where i can start adding fish in my 30 gallon. now heres my thing. I saw a lionfish and fell in love with it and i know there are dwarfs, which i would get. but i also want some inverts. shrimps, a sea star, and maybe and urchin. now i have researched and i know that the lionfish will eat them. i am going to have to go one way or the other. does anyone have any recommendations on either way to go? maybe some of your storys with lionfish? is a lion fish hard to keep?

It is not worth getting a lionfish unless you have a big tank IMO. This one fish will occupy most of your tank and if you get it then you can only get latge fish that it wont eat, cant get any inverts. I dont know about corals or not. Either way, i would get the traditional clowns and nano fish along with many shrimp and corals :)

yeah that was my first choice, and i didnt want to sacrafice all the cool inverts and smaller fish, your right. Thanks!

I was in your position with an eel, but i decided to go traditional and i am very happy i did! Good luck :)

The lion will only eat the shrinp. You could definitely keep a star. Lions are groupers PRETTY MUCH, and my grouper and trigger don't bother any inverts except for shrimp. I currently have 2 stars, many snails, hermits, etc with my fish and they're fine. And if you do decide on the lion, a fu Manchu would be the best by far.

My opinion, for what its worth is to go traditional. :) The lion is a super cool fish and maybe one day you can get a tank for one but you probably can get more diversity from a tradional setup. Your options are so much better of ypu go that route. :)

Just my thought, let us know what you go with!

thanks everybody, carey your right i could always get one down the road in a different tank, but i think im gonna go traditional. thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom