stocking 110gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trena

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have decided to make my new 100gallon a FOWLR setup. That way I can have the big, pretty fish that I want. My goal was to originally have a tank big enough for my tangs. I want a Naso Tang or one just as colorful. Now I'm looking into a Picasso Triggerfish. He is beautiful! So, my stocklist will be along the lines of whatever is compatible with him.

I'm going to use the 55 gallon tank for my reef safe fish and corals.

I would like to have a big angel, the picasso trigger, a naso tang (or other), snowflake eel and a dog-faced puffer. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

I would say on the angel your pretty limited on selection. Lamarck angel is the only one I can think may work. The naso need a six foot tank and I'm not sure what your 110 dimensions are and they get big. Also the puffer and trigger have high bioloads . The trigger can be very aggressive. Jmo I think it's too high bioload for the tank.

Look up the fish you want and note the minimum tank requirements on LiveAquaria. These numbers are configured using bioload and swimming space needed. Unfortunately, tangs are not going to be happy in a 5ft tang. There are a few exceptions- but you may not like the colorations.

Trena said:
it's 5 feet long by 2ft wide by 24 inches tall

Yea I would rethink the angel and naso tang. It may even be pushing it for the trigger as well but i don't have any first hand experience with them besides knowing they can be mean. How about the snowflake , dog face, smaller tang like a yellow eye kole tang , and maybe an easy butterfly like a raccoon butterfly and flame angel. I think that would be an ok stock.

i have a sump. I haven't added those fish yet. Right now there is just a clownfish, a damsel and a scopas tang in it.

Do a extensive research and reviews on each of your fish. I think too many people on this forum and other forums cram their SW tanks with too many fish. The best home for your stocking is a judgement call by you and your knowledge on each of the different kind of species.

From what I learned from people who have kept fish alive for 10+ years, dog-face puffer does best with 100g of water for themselves. Easier to maintain the water and puffer lives in a less stressful water.

The easy part of owning SW tanks is buying all the equipment and fish. The fun and challenging part is maintaining the tank and keeping fish alive for as long as possible.

Just to echo whats been said ..100 gallons is a nice upgrade but still not a huge tank..the fish you are interested in will eventually out grow it..
Also ,i would really,really suggest not ever getting a picasso trigger,even in a 300 gallon system..they don't play well with others:nono:..
5 foot by 2 foot is a decent footprint though ,and you could probably get a mimic tang or kole tang in there with a dwarf not a large angel ,and a saddle back or bluespot puffer

Yea, the guy at my fish store told me not to buy the ones he has because ppl keep bringing him back. He advised me to get a small one and raise it for a better chance. It's a shame how nature can be so cruel. :) All the beautiful fish are dangerous or get too big. :(

Ok, I've decided on a Kole yellow eye tang, a rectangular trigger, a dog face puffer and a snowflake eel. How does that sound?

Yes, but he and the Fiji blue devil damsel may have to go back into thee 55gallon once the predators get here.

Back
Top Bottom