Stocking 75g tank with Discus. Help with cycling and tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscusLvr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive just acquired a 75g tank and plan on putting at least 4 Discus to start in it. I already have two plecos to go in it but i need help with other tankmates. I want this tank to be centered around the Discus so I was considering tetras but I'm not sure what kind and how many I should get. Also any opinions on the most compatible catfish? I also wanted to do this as correctly as possible but I'm not really sure how to go about cycling a new tank before adding any fish. I need everything to be as perfect as possible for the Discus. Please help,

I wouldn't add the plecos due to their high bioload, aggressive behavior, and nocturnal lifestyle. Otocinclus would be a better algae eater. Rummynose tetras are a good option.

Yes I had a pleco suck on the side of my discus I put in some Cardinal Tetris with mine they do better in warmer water I also use reverse osmosis water

Ive heard of plecos getting a "taste" for discus slime. I think mine is still too small to mess with the discus yet.

Im thinking about stocking with 4 discus, 10 rummynose tetras, and 3 or 4 raphael catfish and leaving the plecos in my platy tank. Any suggestions or does this sound like a good start?

I would avoid anything with spines, aka plecos, Raphael cats, etc. stick with a more defenseless catfish, like porthole cats, or sterbai cories

Go with
4 discus
1-2 GBR
8-10 Schooling fish of choice
6 Cory's

I was considering GBR but I've never had them before. How hard are they to care for? I guess they cant be as bad as discus though

I was considering GBR but I've never had them before. How hard are they to care for? I guess they cant be as bad as discus though

I've kept many and love them! Great colors and are typically pretty peaceful unless you get a pair and they breed. They're not to hard to care for, they like low ph and pristine water conditions just like discus.

I've kept many and love them! Great colors and are typically pretty peaceful unless you get a pair and they breed. They're not to hard to care for, they like low ph and pristine water conditions just like discus.

I think I will probably stock it just as you said then. That sounds like the perfect setup. Any suggestions on plants? I have one amazon sword now and plan on getting one or two more. Ive considered wisteria but I'm not sure what else to put in there. I don't want the tank to be too heavily planted but i want to provide shade and hiding spots too.

I think I will probably stock it just as you said then. That sounds like the perfect setup. Any suggestions on plants? I have one amazon sword now and plan on getting one or two more. Ive considered wisteria but I'm not sure what else to put in there. I don't want the tank to be too heavily planted but i want to provide shade and hiding spots too.

I'm not I'm expert on plants, but I did have a medium light planted tank for a while.

I'd suggest jungle vals, wisteria, Anubis, java ferns, etc. The plants you get doesn't really matter, it's all your preference and what your lighting can handle. Just make sure you have a combo of low-med-high in terms of height for good depth. I'd also add some river rock and driftwood to your setup for a nice natural look :) Get a natural color gravel/sand to!

Most species of cory do NOT do well in discus tanks, due to the higher temps necessary to keep them. I would recommend sterbai cory, as they are one of the few species capable of living in higher temps long term

Most species of cory do NOT do well in discus tanks, due to the higher temps necessary to keep them. I would recommend sterbai cory, as they are one of the few species capable of living in higher temps long term

Agree! I forgot Cory's like lower temps, my bad!

Any suggestions on compatible catfish or algae eaters? I was thinking of the pictus catfish since i just love those long whiskers but I've read they also don't do well in the higher temps. Im having a bit of trouble finding a compatible bottom feeder.

Pictus are much too high energy. Personally, I'd go with sterbai cory. They look great, do best in bigger groups, and will still thrive in higher temps. As for "algae eaters", I've read bristlenose can still be used, but I'm not sure I'd risk it.

I think i might just go with 6 corys and no algae eater. I already have two algae eaters and would hate to end up with a third in my 20g as that would be just too much. Thank you to everybody who helped me out. This tank is still a couple months away from being completed but i will be sure to post pics when it is up and running. Im shooting for it to be complete by mid May...ish...hopefully...if everything goes as planned.

Back
Top Bottom