Stocking a 20 gallon (long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clapycap

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my fishless cycle (the fish flake one). I'd like to have an active and 'cute' looking tank if that makes sense. I didn't have time to add in gravel so I have a few small Anubis floating on top... Is that ok? Also, does anyone have any experience with those sticker thermometers that you stick on the outside of the tank? It doesn't look very reliable to me, but the label looked convincing.
The small school fish scare me somehow (the shininess or something) so are there other stocking options? I was thinking maybe a few female guppies, a few platies, two african dwarf frogs, and three mystery snails?
Also aquascaping sounds interesting so if anyone could give me a few beginner tips that would be very helpful. Thanks to anyone reading this.

The stickies are horrible. Get a nice glass therm that has a weight on the bottom the ones with suction cups don't stay. It'll still be less then 10$. You can tie down the anubias or attach it to something with super glue.

Also the dwarf frogs are hard to feed ime. The fish often eat the food first.

The mystery snails will breed if you have multiple of them, though they do lay egg sacks that are easy to remove.

Male guppies are nicer looking I've always had multiple males with no females without any issues.

You may want to read more into adding ammonia during a fishless cycle I'm not sure just adding food will do what u need it to.

What type of light do you have on your tank? That well effect any live plants youd like to get.

Thanks, a lot for replying. Can gourami go well with male guppies? Also how many of each can go in my tank? How about with platies? Even if it's sinking food (for the frogs) would the fish still go after it when it's on the ground?
Snails sound awesome btw. I don't think pure ammonia is accessible to me so the fish food method I'll have to stay with, sigh. I heard it worked for some people so.
I added gravel and then just sort of sticked the plants into the gravel, hmm. I'm not sure what kind of lighting the tank has. I bought an Aqueon tank that came with a hood that has 'a 15 watt bulb and aluminum reflector'. I'll have to look into getting another thermometer. Really thanks a lot for helping.

Edit: I've had my airstone (4 inch) in the tank for two days now and it's not working?

If u get a gourami make sure it's a dwarf like a honey gourami, blue dwarf, or a red dwarf idk about the sparkling I've never seen them. Dwarfs max out at 2 to 2.5 inches others get very large. Also you can only have one dwarf in the tank (other fish are fine just no more gouramis) they are territorial.

Is your light a fluorescent tube or a standard bulb?

There's also such thing as a "fish in cycle" it just requires you watch you ammonia levels and do frequent water changes for a month or so. Read up on that if u choose to go that route.

A website that can give you a good estimate for your stocking is www.aquadvisor.com you put in you tank size, filter, and what you want for fish and it will give you an estimate of how full your tank will be.

I have a gourami with platies and Guppies and they do just fine. Gouramis are quite peaceful as long as they are the only ones in the tank.

The fish will eat sinking food aswell so if you would like the dwarf frogs do some research on there care. I've only had then once and they died I found them more difficult to take care of than I anticipated.

You should be able to get pure ammonia at a grocery store id think. I've always done fish in myself but it is more work and you will loose fish if you don't keep up on your water changes.

The anubias you have can be planted but you should leave the part the leaves and roots grow out of exposed.

Is your airstone clogged? Some of them are crap and clog right up. Especially the big ones.

Back
Top Bottom