Stocking a 20 Gallon Tropical Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DejaloLove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank is fully cycled and we are off to the lfs on Saturday to finally get some fish! We have a 20 gallon tank and are looking for tropical freshwater fish that are good for beginners.

Any suggestions?

I'm definitely leaning toward guppies, but I wasn't sure as to how many fish we should get based on the tank size and what other types of fish would be good to be in the same tank as the guppies.

It is for our 2 year old daughter's birthday, so preferably something bright and colorful. Although I'm sure she'll just be happy to see something finally swimming around in there. ;-)

When you get the guppies I'd get only the males. They are smaller so produce lest waist and have very colorful tail fins. Keeping all males will help prevent a guppy outbreak that takes over the tank.

If your ok spending a little more you could get a rose line shark as a main fish. They are very pretty but run around 15 to 20 bucks.

Might also consider some neon tetras. Small cheap and look really cool.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

Thank you so much!! I did some further research and fell in love with the Bolivian Ram too. Any experience or recommendations for that?

Actually, it looks as though my substrate and lack of plants are not good for the Bolivian Ram. So I'll cross that one off my list for now!

The Bolivian ram would do fine in your tank.

You could do
1 Bolivian ram
3 male guppies
And 6 cories

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for that information! I researched and found on another forum that the Bolivian Ram needs sand and plants. We used gravel and just have some basic decorations. So I just wanted to make sure that it would thrive well. I want to make sure I'm providing the best home I can for whatever fish I get. :)

I've had mine with gravel just fine before, although they do prefer sand.

Almost all fish benefit from love plants, but most don't require them to live a healthy life. So IMO they'd be fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom