Stocking a 40 Gallon :o

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desi

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my first "big tank". And I was just wondering about the fish I plan to get- if anyone (well I'm sure :p) has experience with them and what you think/ helpful advice. That's what AA is for anyway, right ;)
Enough blabbing:
-Guppies (already own them)
-Cory Cats
-Rainbow Shark
-Male Dalmatian Molly
-Neon Tetras
-Rummy Nose OR Penguin Tetras
-Bristlenose Pleco
-Zebra Danios (Eh... Maybe.)

And if I can, I want to have sort of a "showpiece" fish if you know what I mean. I'm considering a dwarf or honey gourami- but I really need help there.

I've researched every fish listed, so I do know who will eat what sometimes, but I've also seen lots of instances where it works out. This will be a new experience for me, so it's all about learning right now. Thanks ahead of time! :)

Your list so far looks good, however, not so sure about the rainbow shark. While it is small it might be okay. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.
I agree with the "Eh" on the danios...they are constantly moving and bring a certain dynamic to the tank. Some find them too busy, frenzied, and spastic. I had some gold tetras that would hide all of the non-feeding times and I introduced 6 longfin blue danios. As predicted, their constant swimming gave the tetras the "green light" to swim in the open water and both schools swim freely in the tank.
Good luck with this. What is the rest of the setup (equipment)?

The Rainbow shark can grow to 6-7", so a slightly larger tank is recommended for them. The similar looking Red Tail Shark grows to about 5", but is a bit more aggressive (both get more aggressive as they age). If you do plan on adding either of these then make it the last fish you add to the tank. Let your other fish be firmly established in the tank and grown some. Even then, get the smallest shark your LFS has. None of this guarantees that aggression won't be a problem, so keep an eye open for bullying.

Good luck with this. What is the rest of the setup (equipment)?

Can't say I know about the filter yet if you are referring to that... But I'm going to stay away from extremely costly and keep up with good water changes. For lighting, nothing big I'm thinking just silk / plastic plants for the time being, but as always: it's a work in progress. Thanks:) And sorry if this isn't what you meant .-.

The Rainbow shark can grow to 6-7", so a slightly larger tank is recommended for them. The similar looking Red Tail Shark grows to about 5", but is a bit more aggressive (both get more aggressive as they age). If you do plan on adding either of these then make it the last fish you add to the tank. Let your other fish be firmly established in the tank and grown some. Even then, get the smallest shark your LFS has. None of this guarantees that aggression won't be a problem, so keep an eye open for bullying.

That's exactly what I've planned on doing:) thank you! I can always upgrade when needed, or we have a LFS that would take him/her if it became a bullying problem. Also, does anyone know if there is a difference between aggressiveness in male and female Rainbow Sharks?

Can't say I know about the filter yet if you are referring to that... But I'm going to stay away from extremely costly and keep up with good water changes. For lighting, nothing big I'm thinking just silk / plastic plants for the time being, but as always: it's a work in progress. Thanks:) And sorry if this isn't what you meant .-.

Nah that's exactly what I meant. :) just curious on the setup (filter, lights, gravel, plants, etc).
From a cost perspective, I have had good luck with HOB filters, especially the Hagen/Fluval AquaClear series. Simple to use, flexible media options and easy maintenance. Not knocking canisters but they tend to cost more. And for lights since you are doing silk/plastic, stock tank lighting will not break the bank.
Good luck with this. I have not done a community tank in a long time. I usually stick with 1 or 2 types of fish (tetras/danios).

Okay, I was originally planning with fake plants like I said, but I've been talked into real:) So I'm going to start looking into lighting. Thank you for the filter tip btw:)

And deco:

Half sand / gravel (corries)
Big Driftwood
Terra cotta pots for caves
Easy growing plants (java fern, moss ball, amazon sword, Anubius, anacharis, and maybe ribbon plant).

Back
Top Bottom