Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iambannana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey just looking for some advice on stocking for my tank, I have a 250 litre tank that's pretty heavily planted, it currently holds 10 neon tetras, 5 black phantom tetras, 5 zebra loaches a male betta and a bristlenose. It still looks really empty though, especially seen as my loaches like to hide most of the time so I'm looking at adding some more colorful fish. Do you think my tank is close to being full? I was thinking maybe 5 red phantom tetras to add a bit more color and I'm really keen on some blue rams if they will fit in... Input would be appreciated!

I would say that with the loaches, a rainbow shark will be to aggressive. They are smaller sharks, but still a bit aggressive

Whether or not you are overstocked will depend on filtration, partial water changes etc, so some details on those would be ideal

Rams are great. You must be careful with your water paramaters. They can be very senstive to bad water quality. If you have your heart set on rams, why not go with bolivian rams. While they are not ultra hardy, they are definatly easier to keep. A pair of these would be nice :)

Red phantoms would also be nice. Rummynose tetras are gorgeous tight schoolers and their red noses are beautiful. I have rummies and they look amazing.

If you fancy something that is easy to keep, you could get a group of MALE platies. While they do not shoal, they are avaliable in a wide range of colours and can look quite cool!

It's really personal choice though.

My ideas overall are:

Bolivian Rams (As an alternative to blue rams - it is up to you, but these guys may be easier :))

Rummynose Tetras

Red Phantom Tetras

Cherry Barbs (A hardy schooling fish - they do not hang out together as much as many species but they need company - very attractive small fish)

Platies (Males - Females and males will overpopulate your tank!!!)

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom