Stocking in a 40 Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soupy97

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would this stock work in a 40 breeder?

2x Keyhole Cichlid
1x Angel Fish (Very Very Docile)
3x Swordtails
1x or 2x Bolivian Rams
1x BN pleco
5x Peppered Cories
4x Cherry Shrimp (or other shrimp if I cant find cherry)

Is this over/understocked or about right?

Would this stock work in a 40 breeder?

2x Keyhole Cichlid
3x Swordtails
1x or 2x Bolivian Rams
1x BN pleco
5x Peppered Cories
4x Cherry Shrimp (or other shrimp if I cant find cherry)

Is this over/understocked or about right?

I'd say it's pretty good, especially since the footprint of the tank is bigger than a normal tank. so you could easily bump the Cory school up to 6 or 7.

The angelfish would eat the shrimp.

I have mine with some cherry shrimp, and all is well. But I'm not sure how your angels temperament is. But they're cheep so it's not like you'll be wasting big bucks. Maybe try a large bamboo shrimp.

Thanks for the advice! I just picked up a bamboo shrimp and a ghost shrimp and I will see how it works out. Might get a few more of the little ones if the angel doesn't eat them.

Suppose I stuck with the 5 corys, kept it to only one bolivian ram, and only 2 swordtails... would it be ok to get about 4-5 tiger barbs? I absolutely love them and I think the other fish would be fine. Any thoughts? I don't want to overload the tank or have them be too aggressive.

So the new stocking would be:

2x Keyhole Cichlid
2x Swordtails
4-5x Tiger Barbs
1x Bolivian Ram
1x BN pleco
5x Peppered Cories
1 Bamboo Shrimp

Suppose I stuck with the 5 corys, kept it to only one bolivian ram, and only 2 swordtails... would it be ok to get about 4-5 tiger barbs? I absolutely love them and I think the other fish would be fine. Any thoughts? I don't want to overload the tank or have them be too aggressive.

So the new stocking would be:

2x Keyhole Cichlid
2x Swordtails
4-5x Tiger Barbs
1x Bolivian Ram
1x BN pleco
5x Peppered Cories
1 Bamboo Shrimp

I think that's a bad idea with the swordtails and the angel. Why not get some blue or gold rams?

That's a good idea. I do like the gold rams. Im open to any suggestions really.

Back
Top Bottom