Stocking my 10 gallon help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right on... before coming here I never knew bettas could be kept with anything lol. Good to hear that people have had success keeping them with tetras.

janky said:
Right on... before coming here I never knew bettas could be kept with anything lol. Good to hear that people have had success keeping them with tetras.

Lol yeah kinda hard not to start a community tank when you have a betta with enough space
Tetras have been the best thing I've kept them with it also depends on the bettas personality mines really payed no mind to them they just did their own thing

Yeah that's why I never bought any with a betta
Hmm can glo light tetras be kept with neon tetras together in a planted 10 gallon
IMO, glowlights are a bit big for a 10g tank. They get a little bigger than neons, so I suggest just sticking with neons.
Neons, a betta, and pygmy (dwarf) cories sound like fine stock to me though. :)
I do suggest getting a couple more pygmy cories if you are able.

absolutangel04 said:
IMO, glowlights are a bit big for a 10g tank. They get a little bigger than neons, so I suggest just sticking with neons.
Neons, a betta, and pygmy (dwarf) cories sound like fine stock to me though. :)
I do suggest getting a couple more pygmy cories if you are able.

Really? I thought they grew 1.5 like neons
I have 3 cories is that good?

There is a bit of variability between strains of course, but the glowlights I am familiar with are more like 1.5 inches minimum while a lot of neons stay more like 1 inch. In a tank as small as a 10g, that little bit of length makes a difference IME. If you tried glowlights in the 10g, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I wouldn't do it personally. Neons are honestly borderline about being able to be in a 10g. Plenty of people think a 20g is a better minimum for them.
Which cory species do you have? IME, the pygmy cories tend to be shier than other larger cory species, so more is better. Besides, they are so smal that a few more won't dramatically affect the bioload. :)

absolutangel04 said:
There is a bit of variability between strains of course, but the glowlights I am familiar with are more like 1.5 inches minimum while a lot of neons stay more like 1 inch. In a tank as small as a 10g, that little bit of length makes a difference IME. If you tried glowlights in the 10g, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I wouldn't do it personally. Neons are honestly borderline about being able to be in a 10g. Plenty of people think a 20g is a better minimum for them.
Which cory species do you have? IME, the pygmy cories tend to be shier than other larger cory species, so more is better. Besides, they are so smal that a few more won't dramatically affect the bioload. :)

Yeah I guess I'll stick with the neons I'd love to get a 20 or in general mire tanks but with college coming I won't be able to have all those tanks
It's a spotted Cory basically the exact same thing is an albino but with color

Yeah I guess I'll stick with the neons I'd love to get a 20 or in general mire tanks but with college coming I won't be able to have all those tanks
It's a spotted Cory basically the exact same thing is an albino but with color
A spotted cory is not a dwarf cory species. The pygmy cory species that work in a 10g are C. habrosus, hastatus, and pygmaeus. Those are the only cory species I believe are suitable for a 10g tank. Albino cories are typically C. aeneus which get much too big for a 10g long term because the girl max out at about 3 inches. There are multiple species called "spotted cories," but most of them are big like the aeneus and won't do well in a 10g long term.
I am not telling you to criticize, just to help you pick good fish for your tank that will able to live out their full lifespans and show you their natural behaviors in your tank. If your cories are a species that only reaches like 2 inches, you may be ok with them in there. Some people keep panda cories in 10g tanks successfully. I don't personally recommend it, but I have heard it can be done. Up to you.

Back
Top Bottom