Stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 50g mbuna tank about halfway through the bacteria cycle. I have 2 yel labs, 2 red zebras, 1 of the smaller desamoni. All males I think.

I was advised to overstock to help control agression and I really dont want any breeding if possible. Based on what fish are available, I am thinking of adding the following

2 mbambas
2 white labs
2 jalo reef
2 cherry red zebras if I can find em

There are several elongatus I like but concerned bout agression.

You shouldn't mix labidochromis together they will interbreed or fight to death. The mbamba will interbreed with the labs. I would add an elongatus of something that doesn't look anything like the jalo reef or that will end up bad for someone.

If your looking for some white - rather than white labs how about Snow White (albino) socolofi? They're awesome and I've seen them constantly at petco also cobalt zebras. Maingano (com manly sold as electric blue johanni) are nice too and stay smaller than zebras. I'd throw some more demasoni in there and yellow labs get about 5 of each and then maybe some albino socolofi and 5 maingano or 2 more red zebra. That's a good color contrasting mix

How bout this

2 yel lab
2 red zebra
2 desamoni
2 socolofi
2 jalo reef or red top afra
2 albino socolofi
2 cherry red zebras

How is that for quantity? The desamoni and afra are 3" max. Socolofi 6". Rest are 5".
Also if I dont get more than 2 ea I dont have to worry about possibly having 2 males and 1 female.

How bout this

2 yel lab
2 red zebra
2 desamoni
2 socolofi
2 jalo reef or red top afra
2 albino socolofi
2 cherry red zebras

How is that for quantity? The desamoni and afra are 3" max. Socolofi 6". Rest are 5".
Also if I dont get more than 2 ea I dont have to worry about possibly having 2 males and 1 female.

Well the mix looks good BUT (I've read this but haven't had it happen as my fish aren't mature) pairs are bad idea as even 1m/1f or 2 males will be a bad result as the Dom male will either beat the sub or harass the heck outa the female once he is mature. You can do it but just be ready to give some away if needed.

I'm recently learning the lesson of boys to girls in the tank lol! What I've researched and been told is if you're going to mix the sexes you should have at least 2-3 girls for every boy. Also might want to keep another tank set up and running in case they breed as it will increase the aggression in the tank ten fold. So first signs of "holding" you will have to remove the female fast.

Maingano (com manly sold as electric blue johanni) are nice too and stay smaller than zebras.

Just be careful bc mainganos and johanniis are differrent fish if you decide to get them.. the johanniis are aggressive n are usually the ones sold in the assorted cichlid tank.. from what i have saw the bigger chain stores and some mom n pop stores dont really keep mainganos they usually have johanniis. I had to order my mainganos online bc i could only locally find johanniis

Back
Top Bottom