stocking question for my 12 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrico

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 12 gal Eclipse system (running 10+ years) containing one Cockatoo Cichlid (Apistogramma Cacauoitides) and two Black Phantom Tetras. About 7 inches of fish in total. What would you add? More tetras? A Honey Gourami? Something else? Thanks.

Hello enrico,

I have the same tank; mine has been running for about 7 years. It is a great little tank.

If what you have has been working, I would leave it alone. If you can rehome the Apisto, you will enhance your options greatly.

David

Well to begin with the inch of fish per gallon of water rule is very VERY outdated. The oldies used that as a general guideline when they didn't have these techno gadgets nowadays. The rule is still useful if you now how to use it the right way. Can you have a 20 inch shark in a 20g?

Anyway as for stock, There are two way's I would go.

1. Look for a female Cockatoo and possibly try to get them to breed. Having fish breed and raising fry is the best part of the hobby! As well I would also get 5ish more phantom tetras to have a school of them.

2. Sell the male Cockatoo and get 5ish more phantom tetras and 8ish more of another type of tetra and run a community tank.

Thanks for your replies. I really like the Apistogramma, and just got it a few weeks ago, so would like to keep it. Not interested in breeding. If I bought more Black Phantoms, how many more would "fit" in this size tank? Alternately, are there other tetras that would fit here instead, and again how many? I guess the Honey Gourami is not a good idea? Thanks again for your help.

I would add three more black phantom tetras and call it a day. No other species. Two schooling fish in a 12-gallon tank just doesn't work, IMHO.

David

I think what would be best is keep everything you have, add 4 more phantom tetras, and add 6 more cardinal, neon, or black neon tetras and call it a day. If you calculate the "inch per gallon rule" you'd get 17 inch's but the reason it would work is because the tetras are bottom, middle, and top swimmers, they use the whole tank. As the apisto only uses the bottom of the tank, you only see him at the top when there's FOOD! If all of the tetras were only bottom swimmers, only middle swimmers, or only top swimmers I would not recommend this.

I really don't like the idea of black skirts in such a small tank...they're very nippy fish and without space to run and hide I can see it being a battle royale rather than just a bit of nip and run...

I really don't like the idea of black skirts in such a small tank...they're very nippy fish and without space to run and hide I can see it being a battle royale rather than just a bit of nip and run...

Who mentioned black skirts?

I keep asking about a Honey Gourami because I had a healthy one for a year (which constantly harassed the poor tetras). Several weeks ago I added the Apisto after which the gourami promptly died, although I saw very little aggression from either. Are the gourami and apisto incompatible in this small tank? If so, I guess I'll take the suggestion of many of you and just buy three more Black Phantoms.

Back
Top Bottom