Stocking suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crunchygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon high with a Marineland Penguin 150B biowheel. I currently have 5 black skirt tetras. And 1 Mickey Mouse platy? Please suggest some other fish that would be a good fit with them. Some more colorful fish would be cool. I also want something that will scavenge any uneaten food. And I am beginning to see a little algae.

Something to be aware of - I have a 8 black skirt tetras as well as cories, and while it's not an impossible situation, it's always a bit of a struggle to ensure that the cories get enough food. Black Skirts are quite pushy and aggressive and will steal food from any more timid fish.
So don't get anything like (for example) a honey gourami, which will struggle to compete for food and won't enjoy such boisterous tank mates.

I'd be cautious with male guppies and black skirts- they are nippy and could easily destroy fins. I'd go for a few more platies or a single male Molly.

Emerald76

Lyretail mollies, definitely more platies, guppies.

Bottom feeders - corydoras catfish, kuhli loaches, amano shrimp/ghost shrimp for the algae

Lyretail mollies, definitely more platies, guppies.

Bottom feeders - corydoras catfish, kuhli loaches, amano shrimp/ghost shrimp for the algae

Mollies, platies, guppies, and black skirts would overstock that tank. Mollies don't belong in a twenty IMO.
Especially in a high. Your tetras will murder shrimp and cories and loaches are not the best idea for a high as the footprint is too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom