Stocking Too Fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't have a car and I won't get another chance to go to the fish store for another months..and I don't want to pay shipping online..I did a fish in cycle..can I just fully stock my tank and do a lot of water changes for a couple weeks?

I would say no. I don't think the filter will cope with all the bioload. Plus some fish which you like may not be suited for a recently established tank.

i did that research and the ones that i picked were suited

I don't have a car and I won't get another chance to go to the fish store for another months..and I don't want to pay shipping online..I did a fish in cycle..can I just fully stock my tank and do a lot of water changes for a couple weeks?

That depends on a lot of factors.

How big is the tank?

How long has the cycle been established?

What is currently stocked, and what are you thinking to add?

While answers to those will help the community point you in the right direction, generally, I think it's best to be cautious -- stocking slowly, whenever possible, is usually the way to go.

RussellC said:

How big is the tank?

While answers to those will help the community point you in the right direction, generally, I think it's best to be cautious -- stocking slowly, whenever possible, is usually the way to go.

Well done for asking these questions I forgot to !

How big is the tank?

37 gallons, about 2 weeks, 1 guppy and 2 platies, neon tetra, guppies, platies. i guess i'll just add very slowly when i get the opportunity

I mini-cycled my 37 tall when I threw 4 Panda Cory's in it. Figuring they were a shoaling species, I wanted to add 4 at once, and then 2 later on. Small ammonia and nitrite spike was the result (approx. .50 PPM on both). I had a local breeder give me 10 angelfish shortly afterwards that were around nickle-sized and I figured since I was already doing daily water changes to let the filter catch up, I may as well ignorantly pile on the bio-load. I was just growing them out to keep a pair out of the group when they were closer to half-dollars.

Needless to say, I was changing water every day for just over 3 weeks. Nobody showed any signs of distress or anything, except me, because daily water changes are a drag.

I also recently added 4 Otto's to that tank, and 4 small female fancy tail guppies to my 55 to correct the m/f ratios. Both mini-cycled around .25 - .50PPM of ammonia and nitrites, and were back to 0 after one day of very light feeding and one day of no feeding at all with a 30% water change each day. The Otto's and guppies were pretty small though.

Do I recommend it? I can't say either way to be honest. I've never had a problem with a crashed cycle that a daily water change couldn't fix, but that's my own personal experience and I don't feel comfortable telling someone else to follow in my footsteps if there's risks involved. Just because I didn't have any problems doesn't mean someone else wont.

I mini-cycled my 37 tall when I threw 4 Panda Cory's in it. Figuring they were a shoaling species, I wanted to add 4 at once, and then 2 later on. Small ammonia and nitrite spike was the result (approx. .50 PPM on both). I had a local breeder give me 10 angelfish shortly afterwards that were around nickle-sized and I figured since I was already doing daily water changes to let the filter catch up, I may as well ignorantly pile on the bio-load. I was just growing them out to keep a pair out of the group when they were closer to half-dollars.

Needless to say, I was changing water every day for just over 3 weeks. Nobody showed any signs of distress or anything, except me, because daily water changes are a drag.

I also recently added 4 Otto's to that tank, and 4 small female fancy tail guppies to my 55 to correct the m/f ratios. Both mini-cycled around .25 - .50PPM of ammonia and nitrites, and were back to 0 after one day of very light feeding and one day of no feeding at all with a 30% water change each day. The Otto's and guppies were pretty small though.

Do I recommend it? I can't say either way to be honest. I've never had a problem with a crashed cycle that a daily water change couldn't fix, but that's my own personal experience and I don't feel comfortable telling someone else to follow in my footsteps if there's risks involved. Just because I didn't have any problems doesn't mean someone else wont.

yeah after hearing that i won't.

Back
Top Bottom