Strange illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tipsyghost

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm new to the forums, I occasionally visited when I Googled questions about my fish! I decided to join beacuse this community seems pretty neat.

I have a lyre tail Molly with a strange grey flakes on its head, and it's fins look rather "bony"
I use an aqueon 75 filter and have a 29 gallon tank, since it looks like a fungus I've been treating with melafix and pimafix, he was itching earlier a few days ago but he's stopped since treatment started.
I added 2 new guppies (one male, one female) a few days ago, but added stress coat and melafix while they were in quarenteen. All fish in my tank are:
2 killifish
2 Algea eaters
1 albino baby Cory
2 guppies
1 sword tail
The lyre tail guppy
2 neon tetras
And a 2 month old Molly fry.
My tank temp is 77.1 but it usually fluctuates between 72- 78 (due to hot weather recently) and I feed him omega one and aqueon tropical flakes [emoji20]
20170711_201029.jpg

I'm not really your go to guy regarding aquarium fish diseases, but over the years of keeping fish occasionally outbreaks have occurred.
In my opinion your Molly has Oodinium / velvet disease.
I only dealt with this ailment once and successfully treated it without medication.
- keep the light turned off. I even covered the tank with a blanket. This bug needs light.
-turn up the temperature, 86 degrees.
-gravel vac. Every other day for 10 days. 10% - 15% WC.
This worked for me.
This is a very common disease and easily researched. I'm not sure if the medication you are currently using will help much. There are a lot of meds out there designed to treat "velvet"
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom