streching tentacles in Hammer and frogspawn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beefandpork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

My new frag of hammer seem to have a few stretching tentacles swaying around. Is this normal? My new frag of Frogspawn also. Is it not enough light?
Also one of the tentacles seem to be on verge of breaking , the middle part has shrunken. Will it grow back?

I got him yesterday,, I am using 48 watts of T5 light in a 20 gallon high. As I have read to slowly increase light. The plan was to increase it over the next 3 to 5 days to 96 watt. Currently using icecap 10,000k and ATI aquablue special.

Right Now Cal is 440
DKh is 9

Nitrate is less then 10.

thanks

It sounds like it is just normal behaviour , and also adjusting to your tank ,,, Keep a close eye on the "broken" one as they will grow back but this could be an invitation for brown jelly disease ...
I really think you can bring the light up to the full 96 watts now ... What were their lights like where they were ?

Hi

I am starting to think is normal as I can see it getting bigger and most are swaying. It seems the piece broke off and is floating around the tank.

yes, i will read up on brown jelly disease, the guy had it on 150 mh (solana tank 32 gallon ) and he suggested i accumulate it with 48 watts for 2 days..and then move it on to 68 watts then to 96 watts. And then find a middle or higher ,lowel level to see it if which one they open the widest.

Just checking if I'm doing it right way.

thanks

Mine are at the bottom of the 10 with 80 watts light PC
The others are in the BC8 with stock lighting , placemnet bottom and mid . Both have good expansion as well as more developing heads .. Moving it around will likely stress it ...

Maybe they're trying to kill each other??? Are the very close to each other? In my experience, hammers are quite aggressive, even towards other Euphyllia LPS. My hammer extends it's tentacles trying to kill an Aiptasia anemone.

How does one know they are fighting. I have them a little closer to each other becasue I plan to set up a area for open brain and some Florida Rics.

So far when they stretch they do touch each other. Any signs of knowing they are fighting?

I do notice both would stretch there tentacles and touch each other and stick together and sway together, is that fighting?

thanks

Yep that is a fourm of fighting ... the sweepers are notably longer than the rest the also can appear to be a bit thinner as well .. sweepers can range from 6-10 inches long (sometimes longer ) :D

If the tentacles are noticeably longer and slightly more transparent than the rest as Sadielynn mentioned, the corals are within close proximity of each other, and they are reaching towards each other, it makes it seem like they are fighting. Maybe if you could snap a quick pic it might help clear things up.

To me it seems like they are fighting, especially if pieces are detaching and floating around; usually means they're dying. I have a relatively large hammer coral and it killed a frogspawn about 10" above it, some SPS frags around it, and is now going for an Aiptasia anemone. I really don't mind it killing the latter of the bunch.

Hmm.. I just got a nice hammer coral frag yesterday. This makes me rethink having one if they really are that aggressive >.<

Well, I don't have any experience with the branching kind, I do have the kind that grows like a mat. I'm not trying to discourage you all from keeping them, my hammer is pretty large around 9-10" at the base. Just keep them away from other coral and it's all good.

This is mine when I first got it at the LFS. I think it was about 5-6".

img_1132583_0_d3f6cdbc25f43ba54c0c377dccf3b4a5.jpg

Maybe they're trying to kill each other??? Are the very close to each other? In my experience, hammers are quite aggressive, even towards other Euphyllia LPS. My hammer extends it's tentacles trying to kill an Aiptasia anemone.
Those long tenticles are sweeper tenticles and they can sting other corals.
The Hammer should not be a threat to the Frogspawn as they are from the same family. I have seen them growing pretty much together with no problems.
PS: TaDaa! this is my 4,000th post!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):)

Last edited:
I think is more like the frogspawn is trying to attack my hammer, the thin long tentacles are stretching to touch the hammer. But I do see a few neon green tips flying around in the water. T

Anyway i put a piece of rock between them to build a wall. Would this work? as they can't see each other.

If not i will move them to different sides of the tank. I perfer not though.

I think is more like the frogspawn is trying to attack my hammer, the thin long tentacles are stretching to touch the hammer. But I do see a few neon green tips flying around in the water. T

Anyway i put a piece of rock between them to build a wall. Would this work? as they can't see each other.

If not i will move them to different sides of the tank. I perfer not though.
To be safe they need to be 6" apart. Is your hammer showing signs of being attacked..parts of the hammer retracting in as the rest of the tenticles out as normal?

yes, the hammer is also beaten as I can see parts of the hammer are missing as the lights are off now. It seems to be on the side near the frogspawn.

Should I put some drops of Vitamin C or just let them heal by themselves? I now have put them far away from each other. I can see why these LPS are consider for beginners. Who would have thought on the first day in the tank they are fighting already.

thanks

To be safe they need to be 6" apart. Is your hammer showing signs of being attacked..parts of the hammer retracting in as the rest of the tenticles out as normal?

my frog spawn did this AFTER i moved my hammer away from him. euphilia's do not alway get along but they do most of the time. when my hammer and frog spawn are close they dont reach fro each other and don't hurt each other but if they are apart they extend toward one another.

I did not know that corals could be "IN LOVE":D

Back
Top Bottom