Stringy plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connor

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am having a hard time with keeping mu plants in tact any suggestions.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399498928.661284.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399498951.424936.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399498991.920411.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399499018.429679.jpg

What's that plant in the second picture? It looked terrestrial..

Last edited:
The moneywort stems can be separated from each other, so they can all grow leaves that get light individually. Not familiar with the string plants. Those do look unusual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size tank do you have? What type of lighting and bulbs are you using?

Plants often get leggy like that when they are under too low of lighting for their species. When planting stems you should plant them individually with the leaves of each stem almost touching the stems of the stems around them. Personally I'd cut off the bare bottoms and replant the growing tops. But if your lighting is too low you will continue to have this issue.

The plant in the second picture looks to be a White Ribbon Plant which is not aquatic. I suggest removing it from the tank as it will continue to decline until it dies.

I am currently not using root tabs buy I bought som and are about to put them I'm and as far as lighting goes I have a jebo 2x 55 watt and my tank is a 45 gal but I think I fount the other plant ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399561629.724786.jpg

The plant dead center in the 2nd pic appears to have white edges and a green stripe in the leaf center which is a White Ribbon Plant, a type of Dracaena. I've been doing planted tanks for 30 years and that plant isn't Cyperus Helferi. Many fish stores sell it as an aquarium plant and some label it as semi-aquatic. It can be grown with its roots in the water but not fully submerged.

What do you think is the cause of the stringy ness and I truer to grow flame moss trimmings but they all died. I jest started using a bunch of new frets about two weeks ago but all of this started b4 that

Oh and the Cyprus is completely gone that is what I am trying to show it's all white and stringy

What do you think is the cause of the stringy ness and I truer to grow flame moss trimmings but they all died. I jest started using a bunch of new frets about two weeks ago but all of this started b4 that

It's not uncommon for new plants not to acclimate well and some outright just melt. Mosses take awhile to really take off and often times even if they look mostly brown they will eventually start growing. Flame moss is one that has done that to me in the past. When plants don't thrive and begin to die or melt there is usually something in the water chemistry they don't like. It's really hard to pinpoint what caused that in your plants after the fact. But if you have proper lighting for the type plants you grow, give them proper amounts of nutrients, do weekly WC's, and use at least a liquid carbon then you should have success. You want nitrates to be 10-20ppm and phosphates 1-3ppm. Gh and Kh needs to be 4 or above to ensure plants have enough calcium and magnesium in the water.

Ok thanks for the advice I will have to try that

Back
Top Bottom