Strong smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cudie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Newbie, first real tank.
-35 gallon

Noticed some blue/green algae creeping across gravel. Was told to take out everything and soak in a tiny bit of bleach, fake plants/deco/gravel. Rinse extremely well.
Did that. Emptied tank about 80%, scrubbed everything.
Re-assemble. Clean filter. Used conditioner (not enough maybe? ((See pic of test)). Anyways once ready fish went back in.
Maybe a week later noticed earthy/musty smell. Then became noticeable when walking into my apartment, tank on the opposite side of the room. Not sure if there's still blue/green algae causing it to be so strong, or if its because everything is clean?
Also changed the hood to a flat glass top.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210322_185040.jpg
    20210322_185040.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210322_184233.jpg
    20210322_184233.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 27
Sorry I read that wrong. Do you have an Ammonia reading?

No, I did not get an ammonia test, was an after thought.
I read that ammonia can be reflected in the nitrite levels?
Ill leave it be for a bit, give it time to cycle more.
Thanks for your help so far!

No, I did not get an ammonia test, was an after thought.
I read that ammonia can be reflected in the nitrite levels?
Ill leave it be for a bit, give it time to cycle more.
Thanks for your help so far!

I recommend an ammonia test. If it's high you may need to do a water change.

The problem is, you most likely wiped out your bacteria cleaning it like you did. I would not recommend you do that to your tank. Your substrate and filter house a good portion of your bacteria. Let's start from ground zero and get the ammonia levels measured.

Here is my ammonia test!

Attachments

• 20210323_183002.jpg
    20210323_183002.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 22
I would keep an eye on the parameters. As for the smell? I really don't know. Tanks have an aroma to them. Maybe someone else can steer you in the right direction. How long has your tank been re-assembled? I am curious what your tap water measures in Nitrates.

Well ill be sure to let you know of any changes, cause I don't know, learning lol. It was just weird, it never used to notice it until now.
3 days. Maybe just needs more time to get back to where it should be, then will go away?
You had me curious about that too.

Attachments

• 20210323_192021.jpg
    20210323_192021.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 15
Also check around the rim of the tank and under the rim where you feed, sometimes the food gets in the rim and gets musty/ moldy. Just use a paper towel and wipe it to check and remove if it is there.

Carbon is a good thought.

Just run it for a week - 10 days and see how it smells. That takes care of the result of what the smell might be but not necessarily the cause of the odor.

A tank will possibly smell earthy like being in a moist forest (but healthy earth like odor). Blue green algae also has an odor different, not sure how to describe, might find that on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom