Stupid Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlosk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I'm new to all this fish keeping and aquarium stuff, but I'm currently performing a fishless cycle. I've been reading up a lot on here and researching the topics and carrying out the procedure as best as I possibly can. Anyway, I'm cruising along with the cycle, I'm hoping that it won't be too long before I have it completed.

So now I figure it's time to start deciding on what to stock in my tank. I'm not overly fond of Cichlids, so I am looking towards guppies, mollies and whatever will live harmoniously together while making the tank look well.

Anyway, my question may seem a bit thick to most of you on here... but it's something I've noticed while carrying out my water changes during the fishless cycle. Regarding the stocking of the tank. I'm guessing with freshwater tropical, the temp should be maintained around 24 degC or thereabouts? So what are the tips or tricks to ensure that the temp doesn't plummet to arctic temps or rise enough to cook the fish alive, when water changes take place? I wouldn't want to cause any stress or major changes to cope with in the tank, rather keep things steady and stable.

Any other tips about the topic I should know of?

Thanks in advance
Carlosk :fish1:

Try and get the replacement water the same temp as the tank by mixing warm and cold and using a thermomiter or stick a heater in your bucket and set it at the same temp as the tank. I mix hot and cold and match it to the tank with a didital thermomiter untill it matches the tank temp. Make sure you use de-clor aswell.

Buy the super awesome Python No-Spill Clean and Fill. It's a combination siphoner to get the water out, and then a filler to put fresh back in.

You hook it to your faucet threads.
siphon out as much as you want out.
Now run the sink until it's the correct temp (so you'll want a thermometer that you can carry to the sink for this)
Then you switch the python to fill mode, and the water going in is the perfect temp.
Then head over to the tank and be sure to add your Prime while the water goes in!

I <3 my Python

You can buy a python, or you can do what I do, lug a 5 gallon bucket back and forth to the bathtub.

All you have to do is make sure you fill the tank back up with the same temperature water you took out. Use a cheap glass thermometer and hold it under the sink until you get the right temperature.

I don't know what the correct temperature for fish like the ones you want is in celsius but in ferenheit it's 77-80F.

I also use a Python and absolutely love it. Best money I ever spent on my tank. I keep a spare glass thermometer handy so that when I'm refilling the tank I can get the water temp correct (or, pretty close) out of the faucet before pumping it to the tank.

I fill 2 25litre food grade bottle containers with cold water and dechlorinate, i then place them into my cupboard where the boiler is with their lids off and leave them to age and warm to a steady 23-24ºc. After 48hrs i use the water and repeat the process.

I fill 2 25litre food grade bottle containers with cold water and dechlorinate, i then place them into my cupboard where the boiler is with their lids off and leave them to age and warm to a steady 23-24ºc. After 48hrs i use the water and repeat the process.

Just curious- why do you go through that trouble when you can just use warm tap water?

Just curious- why do you go through that trouble when you can just use warm tap water?

Its actually easier and takes less time overall. After ive changed the water i refill them for the next change. Also water from the hot tap can differ in chemistry from that of the cold tap. Also getting the temperature right for 50litres of water takes time also, much easier to just fill them up and store them where they can warm to an exact temp every time. Aged water is better for your fish too as it allows the ph to stablise where water straight from the tap usually has a slightly higher ph than rested water.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice and tips. It's something I have to think about. I completed a 120L water change of my 180L tank today during my fishless cycle. I tried the method of using plain old hot water from the tap. I think with another thermometer I can easily use this method. Have to make sure the little swimmers are happy and don't unexpectedly experience a heat wave or cold snap !!!

Aslong as the temperature isnt largely different its fine and if its slightly cooler, in some fish it can trigger spawning.

Aslong as the temperature isnt largely different its fine and if its slightly cooler, in some fish it can trigger spawning.

Cool.... that would be exciting.... or maybe a pain in the a*** ???

Like I said, I'm fishless cycling at the min, so I really can't wait to get going and add fish. It's a painful wait, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it.

Thanks again for the help and advice... its all new to me.

Its definitely worth it. Gives you extra time to research the fish you want to keep. I enjoy cycling tanks for this reason and i think that slow and steady is definitely more exciting. Stocking and looking around is just as rewarding as the finished tank, if not more!

Oh I have it all to do. It's constantly on my mind... I still have to decide on the layout of the tank. I have sand to clean and add. I also have gravel that I might use a very small quantity of to enhance the overall display. I have a couple of decent pieces of bog wood and some stones too. At this stage I'm getting carried away with myself and find that I have to reel myself back in and start with the basics before I get overwhelmed by it all and end up making a mess of things. It's almost like I have too much time to think about things, as the whole thing is growing in my head daily. Start small and add to it is my plan.

Start small and add to it is my plan.

This is a great way to look at it. I jumped in alittle fast with my first tank. I went out and bought alot of the decor in one go. I ended up spending money on things that after a week i didnt like and also bought substrate i didnt end up using. Because i had alot of time before cycle completion i would be changing my mind daily on what i wanted it to look like.

I learnt my lesson very quickly indeed and the wake up was when there was something i actually really wanted and cash was alittle short which could obviously of been avoided.

I have to say that this site has been excellent and I've read so much on here. Lots of info, tips and tricks are being picked up and I can't wait to get going with it all. My goal is to have a natural looking tank (no pink gravel and the likes) with real plants etc.... I can understand what you mean about buying all around you for your first tank and I can fully see how that could be. Each day I visit the stores I want to buy and add, but I'm quite picky about things and haven't seen any ornamental/fake plants that I thought looked real enough to add. It'd kill me to look at a plastic looking plant or an aquarium that Barbie might live in.

Back
Top Bottom