Stupid unforseen hood problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babakapusta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I ordered a new hood from Dr. Foster and Smith and it is a nice hood. I can't complain about the company. They did a great job and were courteous and knowledgeable when I called them

So yesterday the hood arrived and I excitedly took my old hood off the tank, Did a 75% water change. Added new plants sat back and admired my work and then put on the new hood.

That is when the stuff hit the fan. There are two spaces for the filter and attachments. I was running two filters on the tank. The second space is not large enough for my smaller filter. So, I was going to put that on my 125 until I could figure it out or get another tank, but it is too small to fit over the rim of the 125. OK I killed the filter. I'll just have to recycle it when I set up my third tank next month.

Now the problem I am having is that I set the tank up form left to right. My filter was on the right and I had a rocky cave for my eel to go into. And my plants are mostly on the left.

Now with the filter on the left, my plants are getting stuck to it. My eel is now burying himself in the sand, something he didn't do before. He used to hide in the plants.

I suppose I'm going to have to reverse the entire tank, but I don't want to freak out my fish too much.

Any suggestions on how to to a massive move like that? I have a sand substrate and I have the foundation rocks sitting on the glass to keep them stable. If I move them I will have to disturb the substrate to make sure they are secure.

It sounds like your idea of moving around is the best solution. I redecorate my tank about once a month. Don't worry too much about stress. Just be sure your filter is off when you disturb the sand so it doesn't get sucked into the impeller.

Talk about stress. I did move the stuff around and my eel buried itself with only her eyes and nose showing. She went from a light lavender with a pink belly and eyes on her tail, to a pale tan and yellow. She comes out, but if she sees me she buries herself.

I'm sure she will calm down eventually, but I'm really sorry I scared her so much.

She will get over it. Moving is hell no matter who or what you are, and animals often react poorly to it. Usually they get over it with a bit of time and stability.

Hate when things like this happen though, always makes me feel like I should be able to foresee everything. But if I could, I'd be a god, and then I'd really be in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom