Substrate and Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chole88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all. I've been looking into doing some planting in my 10 gallon tank (Java ferns/moss to start with), and I was wondering if I need to change my substrate. Right now I have a pretty generic natural gravel (Not sure what size, the package didn't say. I got it at Petsmart. *shrug*) I know Java ferns are anchored to rocks etc., but I will probably plant in the gravel eventually. Should I get a different substrate if I'm going to be planting? How much should I use?

Also, what kind of lighting should I get? I know I need fluorescent, and I've heard the 3 watts per gallon rule. Should I just get a hood with a 30 watt fluorescent bulb, or do I need something else?

You don't need anything special for java moss thats for sure. This stuff grows like crazy in my wifes tank. Just anchored it to a little clay pot with a rubber band and the stuff has started to grow across the gravel floor. She just has regular colored gravel she bought at walmart.

Not sure sure about java ferns, but I assume its easy to grow. I've got alot of anacharis that doesn't require any special gravel as well.

Depends on what you are going to plant. Regular gravel will allow you to grow most anything. Planted substrates will promote better growth and make planting ground cover etc easy. No need to switch unless you are going high tech with a fully planted aquascape.

Neither Java Moss or Java Ferns need substrate - in fact if you try and "plant" your Java Fern you will most likely kill it. It's rhizome needs to be above any gravel otherwise it will rot, though it will send roots down from whatever it is attached to into your gravel in search of nutrients. These are a couple of the easiest and least demanding plants in the hobby and should do well in most any environment - though they will grow much faster with higher light and nutrient supplements.

I believe 30watts over a 10g would still keep you in the "low-light" world - with little need for nutrients and the potential to bypass CO2.

As dapellegrini as alluded to, the WPG "rule" isn't very accurate on 10 gallon aquariums. You'll need more light than 30 watts if you're trying for a high light aquarium. However if you're just trying to grow some nice easy low light plants then, 20-30 watts should do quite nicely. If you can get ahold of an incadescent fixture and replace the bulbs with screw in compact flourescents, this would be even less expensive although you'd want to shoot for closer to 30-40 watts since these bulbs are less efficient.

Regular aquarium gravel which is about 2-3mm in diameter is just fine for plants. Unless you're dealing with "boulder" sized gravel, you won't need to change it out for something else unless you really want to. If you like the look, then keep it.

Back
Top Bottom