Substrate depth & flourish/excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently planted my first few plants in a low light 60g tank. The plants are: Vallisneria, didiplis diandra, Microsword, java moss, pelia moss, anubuia, java fern, higrophilia.

I am now worried my substrate is not deep enough having read it should be 2-3 inches. I only have about 1 or maybe a little over 1 inch.

With the plants I have do you think this will be an issue?

Also, I was recommended to use Seachem Flourish and Excel (since I have no co2). Thoughts? Do you agree I should use them both?

Thanks!

Yeah you should have 2 to 3 inches of substrate depth. Flourish and excel are good. Although, vals and your pelia might be sensitive to excel. But excel sensitive plants can adapt to excel by slowly introducing it and gradually increasing the dose if needed.

Yeah you should have 2 to 3 inches of substrate depth. Flourish and excel are good. Although, vals and your pelia might be sensitive to excel. But excel sensitive plants can adapt to excel by slowly introducing it and gradually increasing the dose if needed.

Thanks. Here's the problem though. I've already planted everything and only have just over an inch. Adding more now would be a nightmare.....take out all the fish, uproot all the plants etc...

What do you think will happen if I don't? Will the plants die?

Almost all of the plants you've listed will survive and get along just fine living their lives in a small pot, though they won't ever grow to their full potential. If you don't have any fish, it's not much of an issue to add an additional 30-40 lbs of substrate. A funnel to a tube will minimize getting sand/gravel all over your leaves.

Posted too fast... or slow. Whatever.

You have a bunch of durable plants. They could most likely handle being uprooted and replanted the same day. Might wilt a little, but I bet since they were just planted, they would end up doing the same thing anyway. Definitely worth it to add a couple inches if you're going with plants.

Posted too fast... or slow. Whatever.

You have a bunch of durable plants. They could most likely handle being uprooted and replanted the same day. Might wilt a little, but I bet since they were just planted, they would end up doing the same thing anyway. Definitely worth it to add a couple inches if you're going with plants.

Thanks for the advice. The problem is that I do have fish already.....the tank is a few months old so have a bunch of fish.

I guess I have to decide whether to leave things as they are knowing the plants won't reach their full potential, or go through the huge hassle of taking out the fish, uprooting the plants and re doing it.

Just measured it - it's 1.5 inches.

Plan on having the tank for several years to come? Worth the investment. But that's a personal opinion. Up to you.

Back
Top Bottom